probelms finding min max within an array

adamgonge

hello, Im stuck on a problem with my code. the program takes a csv file and breaks it down to use. I am using an array and displaying the dates and the differences between each open/close and hi/lo. My code does that much now after thats complete i want to display the highest and lowest of both the hi/lo and open/close. open/close is assigned to $dif_o hi/lo assigned to $dif. Ive tried the min max function but that's not working. not sure how to go about doing this heres my code:

<?php//read the data from the file and display player's name and team$fp = fopen("http://cs.uww.edu/data/stocks/AAPL.csv", 'r');if(!$fp){        echo "could not open the file!";        exit(); } displayData($fp); function displayData($fp){//define an array to store data  $stocks = array(); //read each line into an array, save name and team using an associative arraywhile(!feof($fp)){  // read the current line  $info = fgetcsv($fp, 250, ',');  // add dataa only if data is nonempty  if ($info[0] !=""){           // read the date into a variable        $date = $info[0];         // add this information to associative array        //use $date as the key          $dif =($info[2])-($info[3]);         $dif_o=$info[1]-$info[4];         $stocks[$date]= $dif;         $stocks[$date]=$dif_o; }// end if         echo "Date: ".$date.", Difference between Hi and Lo: ".$dif.", Difference between Open and Close: ".$dif_o."<br/>";}//end while//sort data $min=min($dif);$max=max($dif); echo "Min: ".$min." Max: ".$max."<br/>";}?>

You'll need to add the hi/lo difference to an array and then use min/max on that array eg

function displayData($fp)
{
    //define an array to store data
    $stocks = array();

//read each line into an array, save name and team using an associative array
    while(!feof($fp))
    {
        // read the current line
        $info = fgetcsv($fp, 250, ',');
        // add dataa only if data is nonempty
        if ($info[0] !="")
        {
            // read the date into a variable
            $date = $info[0];

// add this information to associative array
            //use $date as the key

$dif   = $info[2]-$info[3];
            $dif_o = $info[1]-$info[4];

$stocks['dif'][]   = $dif;   // add hi/low differenc to array
            $stocks['dif_o'][] = $dif_o; // add open/close differenc to array

}// end if

echo "Date: ".$date.", Difference between Hi and Lo: ".$dif.", Difference between Open and Close: ".$dif_o."<br/>";
    }//end while

// get the min/max hi/lo difference
    $min=min($stocks['dif']);
    $max=max($stocks['dif']);
    echo "<b>DIF</b> Min: ".$min." Max: ".$max."<br/>";

// get the min/max open/close difference
    $min=min($stocks['dif_o']);
    $max=max($stocks['dif_o']);
    echo "<b>DIF_O</b> Min: ".$min." Max: ".$max."<br/>";
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.