Validating a query string to detect change from user

leegodden

HI

I have a query string along the lines of:

<a href ="http://localhost/mypage.php?var='total'">Click me</a>

The thing is the 'total' part of this query string is not fixed, it is determined on another page by a users selection of prices.

When the link is clicked and the page is loaded the string reads something like:

http://localhost/mypage.php?var='12345

How can I validate that the user has not altered the URL to something like:

http://localhost/mypage.php?var='11122

Why? When dealing with sensitive data such as prices you should not be letting the client (web browser) handle it, the only time you would do this is when listing the price on the webpage. As anything set in then url can easily be altered by the user.

Sessions are recommended as you have full control over it. The data stored in the session is stored on the server and not the client.

Like said in posts above, should keep sensitive data secure and server side.

But since if that may not be an option maybe a temp option you can add the price to 987654321 then minus it when you get it at the business end for a temp solution.

Example Mock up:

$price + 987654321 = X SEND

X - 987654321 = $price RECEIVE 

Like said in posts above, should keep sensitive data secure and server side.

But since if that may not be an option maybe a temp option you can add the price to 987654321 then minus it when you get it at the business end for a temp solution.

Example Mock up:

$price + 987654321 = X SEND

X - 987654321 = $price RECEIVE 

How would that work? You can obfuscate the price however you like. You'll still have the same problem the user is still able to modify it.

The trouble is with this is that the value is passed from a .erb file in ruby to a php script, and I dont think this is possible with sessions

If PHP can receive the value, then you can use sessions. But without seeing code we cant really give your specific instructions.

Hi I am hoping to test this now with a  hidden field using Post something along the lines of:

<input type="hidden" name="myFieldName" value="<% = price %>" />

and in the receiving page:

$val = $_POST['myFieldName'];

Does this sound workable?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.