Help me code for speed.

njdubois

I have the following code, and it takes FOREVER.  How could I speed it up?

$Car_Info_All_SQL="SELECT DISTINCT make FROM car_make ORDER BY make ASC";

$Car_Info_All_results=mysql_query($Car_Info_All_SQL);

$make_html = '<select id="make" name="make" onchange="update_auto_dropdowns(this.id);" onfocus="" onblur="" style="font-size:10px;"><option value="">select make ...</option>';

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($Car_Info_All_results)) {
		if($row['make']!='') {
			if ( strtoupper($row['make']) == $_GET['make'] ) {
				$make_html.='<option value="'.strtoupper($row['make']).'" SELECTED>'.strtoupper($row['make']).'</option>';
			}
			else {
				$make_html.='<option value="'.strtoupper($row['make']).'">'.strtoupper($row['make']).'</option>';
			}
		}
	}

$make_html.='</select>';

$Car_Info_All_SQL="SELECT DISTINCT model FROM car_make ORDER BY model ASC";

$model_html = '<select id="model" name="model" onchange="update_auto_dropdowns(this.id);" onfocus="" onblur="" style="font-size:10px;"><option value="">select model ...</option>';

if($row['model']!='') {
			if ( strtoupper($row['model']) == $_GET['model'] ) {
				$model_html.='<option value="'.strtoupper($row['model']).'" SELECTED>'.strtoupper($row['model']).'</option>';
			}
			else {
				$model_html.='<option value="'.strtoupper($row['model']).'">'.strtoupper($row['model']).'</option>';
			}
		}
	}

$model_html.='</select>';

$Car_Info_All_SQL="SELECT DISTINCT trim FROM car_make ORDER BY trim ASC";

$trim_html = '<select id="trim" name="trim" onchange="update_auto_dropdowns(this.id);" onfocus="" onblur="" style="font-size:10px;"><option value="">select trim ...</option>';

if($row['trim']!='') {
			if ( strtoupper($row['trim']) == $_GET['time'] ) {
				$trim_html.='<option value="'.strtoupper($row['trimel']).'" SELECTED>'.strtoupper($row['trim']).'</option>';
			}
			else {
				$trim_html.='<option value="'.strtoupper($row['trimel']).'">'.strtoupper($row['trim']).'</option>';
			}
		}
	}

$trim_html.='</select>';

Thanks

Nick

I don't know what they will pick first.  Make or Model, though I'm sure I could ignore trim.

The actual use of it has to be as simple and pain free as possible.  I can't say, do you have either a make or model?

I can't assume they are going to always get the make first.

How else should I do it?

I can't just have a textbox, cause I have to assume my target user can't spell.

I understand that populating the dropdown with so much is what's causing it to take so long.  I need a faster way to present the user with the full list of Make, and the full list of Model.

thanks!

Nick

[edit]The customer may say I have a "Contour SVT"  and the user may not know that a Contour is a Ford.[/edit]

Edited by njdubois

Anywhere else I use the auto database, that is exactly how I do it.  Send the selected Make over ajax... fill the model select....send the model over...fill the trim.  The user has to, absolutely must be able to pick either a make or a model.  It is the only way this project is going to work.  It has to be simple, simple simple.

I think your database is fundamentally flawed if you are storing make, model, and trim in one table. Each of those should be in a separate table related by foreign keys. This is how relational database systems such as MySQL are used correctly and efficiently.

A make has many models

A model has many trims

Edited by boompa

I know for a fact that my database is way...WAY far from perfect.  I learn as I go, a major overhaul based on all the things I have learned over the past few years is planned.  That is exactly one of those things I want to do.  Just.... ha, when.. who knows.  This project is the kind of project that is never done.  Always changing.

Changing over the auto database would be easy.  I don't understand what you mean by foreign key though?  Also, would splitting the auto table, into 3 tables increase the speed by a noticed factor??

Thanks

Nick

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.