Send email on new mysql insert

ryanlitwiller

With the help of another php freak member I have created a script that scraps the last 50 posts on a forum site it grabs the title, url, and date and populates my database. I also have an auto increment id. 

I have also made a function using the Mail.php package that successfully sends me an email, I would like to call my email function anytime a new insert is made into my db, although I do not want 50 emails for the first 50 entries, just the new ones, which I intend to set up a cron job to check for a new entries. However I am having a hard time coding the proper sql and php syntax. I figured possibly if does not exist then insert and call mail function. Or use $_Get  to grab my column fields in variables and then put it in an if statement greater than 50. I have not been able to come up with anything promising. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will provide a link to my site and can post my code if needed but it is rather long so let me know. THanks!

Ryan

http://php-ryanlitwiller.rhcloud.com/indexhelp.php

All you need to do is run your sendmail script after inserting the data into mysql if it's a new record.

For checking existing records, look into MySQL count. It will return a number of records. Use php if statement to decide if you should do something.

Good luck!

yes I have tired that and it does send me mail, but I do my insert in a foreach loop and I have print my results to the page prior to inserting and when I put my script after it kills my foreach after two records

//access the new links array
    foreach($meta_array as $link){

echo "<p>";
    echo "<a href='".$link['href']."' target='_blank'>".$link['title']."</a><br />";
    echo " Date: ".$link['date']." Time: ".$link['time']." ".$link['timezone']."<br />"; //Posted by: ".$link['username_first']." ".$link['username_last']."<br />";
    echo "</p>";
		    //convert array to string for db
		    $link_href = $link['href'];
		    $link_title = $link['title'];
		    $link_date = $link['date'] . " " . $link['time'];
		    //populate db
		    mysql_query("insert into `bp` (`url`,`title`,`date`) values ('$link_href','$link_title','$link_date')")
		    //send email
                    sendMail();

Well I am pretty close to having the solution. 

foreach($meta_array as $link){

echo "<p>";
    echo "<a href='".$link['href']."' target='_blank'>".$link['title']."</a><br />";
    echo " Date: ".$link['date']." Time: ".$link['time']." ".$link['timezone']."<br />"; //Posted by: ".$link['username_first']." ".$link['username_last']."<br />";
    echo "</p>";
		    //convert array to string for db
		    $link_href = $link['href'];
		    $link_title = $link['title'];
		    $link_date = $link['date'] . " " . $link['time'];

$result = mysql_query("select * from bp");
		    $number_of_rows_before = mysql_num_rows($result);
		    echo "Number of rows fetched are : ". $number_of_rows_before;

//populate db
		    mysql_query("insert into `bp` (`url`,`title`,`date`) values ('$link_href','$link_title','$link_date')");
		    $number_of_rows_after = mysql_num_rows($result);
		    echo "Number of rows fetched are : ". $number_of_rows_after;

if($number_of_rows_after>$number_of_rows_before) 
		    	{
		    	sendMail();
		    	}

I have echoed the values for testing and the only problem I am having is that my sendMail() function always get called whether the if statement is true or false.

Edited by ryanlitwiller

You're getting the number of rows in the table on line 113, inserting a record on 117, then checking the number of rows in the table on 118. Unless the insert fails, the total on line 118 is always going to be 1 more than the total on line 113. If you want to e-mail yourself only after 50 records have been inserted, get the total number of rows in the table *before* your foreach() loop, add 50 to that, and increment a counter inside your foreach(). Once the counter plus the initial row count equals or is greater than the initial row count plus your cut-off for not sending e-mails, send yourself an e-mail.

one of my columns in my database is unique to prevent duplicate entries, so if a new post has not been published there will not be a new insert. I am not having any problems with my if statement condition but what I am having problems with is that my function gets called regardless of wether or not the if statement is true

Edited by ryanlitwiller

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.