Path help with php include and css fileds

benoit1980

Hi everyone,

I have been for hours on this and decided to help some help from you at PHPFreak because I just cannot work it out.

I am new to PHP and created by first project last night downloading bootstrap 3.

To explain the matter faster, all I need to know if how certain scripts can be uploaded both on a remote server and local server without broken css paths and others.

At the moment the $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] in my css files and include files are returning:
C:/wamp/www/

But should return
C:/wamp/www/project_name

Any idea why and how to change this problem please?

Now I could for sure hardcore the  C:/wamp/www/project_name path but it will kind of kill the idea of seeing in working on local and remote server easily.

Could you please let me know if you have a trick for this please?

My folders order is(inside C:/wamp/www/project_name):

bootstrap
functions
include
public
index.php
admin

Thank you,

Ben

use a relative path.

pay attention to where the calling file is in relation to what is calling.

for instance your css is in C://wamp/www/project name/css.css

and your and your background image is at C://wamp/www/project name/images try

#IDName {background-image:url(/images/imagename.jpg;}

remember :

• Starting with "/" returns to the root directory and starts there
  • Starting with "../" moves one directory backwards and starts there
  • Starting with "../../" moves two directories backwards and starts there (and so on...)
  • To move forward, just start with the first subdirectory and keep moving forward

as seen in this article http://css-tricks.com/quick-reminder-about-file-paths/ the same should hold tru for included pathes

At the moment the $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] in my css files and include files are returning:

C:/wamp/www/

But should return

C:/wamp/www/project_name

No DOCUMENT_ROOT refers to the root folder that the webserver serves files from (in your case localhost). By default WAMP will (or rather Apache is configured to) serve files from C:/wamp/www

If you want to change this you'll need to alter Apaches configuration. Or setup a virtual host for your project so document root refers to your projects root folder.

Edited by Ch0cu3r

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.