Guestbook problem

erikla
Go to solution Solved by trq,

Dear phpfreak users

It is several years ago I looked at php code, so I am very rusty here. Many years ago I managed (with some help) to produce a guestbook for my website. It is the only part containing php code. A week ago I changed webhotel and after transferring my website to the new Webhotel, something is not working properly. I have been trying to pinpoint what it is. I think I have found one issue: When a user fill out a form and press the submit button, the variables are not transferred to the php page, which is written in the action part of the form. To make it less confusing I have deleted parts of my php page and just kept the part, where I guess there is a problem.

The form page named guest_form.html:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Add items to the Guest book</TITLE>

<LINK REL=stylesheet TYPE="text/css" HREF="generel/hoved.css">

</HEAD>
<BODY>

<h1><font color="#903C39">Guestbook</font></h1>
<FORM method="POST" action="guest_save.php">

<hr><br>
<table cellspacing=5 cellpadding=5>

<tr>
<td valign=top><strong><p><b><font color="#903C39">Name</font></b></p></strong></td>
<td valign=top>
<INPUT type="text" name="navn" size=40 maxlength=60>
</td>

</tr>

<tr>
<td valign=top><strong><p><b><font color="#903C39">E-mail</font></b></p></strong></td>
<td valign=top>
<INPUT type="text" name="epost" size=40 maxlength=60>
</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td valign=top><strong><p><b><font color="#903C39">Contribution</font></b></p></strong></td>
<td valign=top>
<TEXTAREA name="indlaeg" cols=50 rows=6></TEXTAREA>
</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td align=center colspan=2>
<INPUT type="submit" value="Submit Contribution">
</td>
</tr>

</table>
</FORM>

</BODY>
</HTML>

The guest_save.php page:

<?php

if ($navn == "") {echo "Name is empty";}
if ($navn != "") {echo "Name is not empty";}

?>

Comments:

I uploaded both pages and they are located at the same level. Then I filled out the form and pressed the submit button. The php page was displayed with the text: "Name is empty". So it look like the content of 'navn' is not tranferred to the php page. Is my code wrong could it be a problem at the Webhotel? I really hope somebody can push me in the right direction ...

Regards,

Erik

• Solution

Your code is severely out of date, relying on register globals being switched on, it has been off by default (for security reasons) for a long time (probably 8+ years).

You will now need to use `$_POST['navn]` instead of plain old `$navn` in your code.

Thanks a lot! I understand that I have been using deprecated code and the new Webhotel did not support the old way ...

I just changed it the way you describe and now it Works as expected! Great!

Erik

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.