Removing only the first line break at the beginning of string

Texan78

Hello, I have this XML file I am parsing and I have hit a small formatting issue that I can't seem to get around. 

Here is what the the output of the RSS looks like. 

<description><![CDATA[<div style='text-align:left;'>Exit ramp closed. <br/><b>Current Status:</b> Open<br/><b>Affected Lanes:</b> Exit Ramp<br/><b>Dates:</b> Wednesday, May 28 - Thursday, May 29<br/><b>Days Closed:</b> <font color='#808080'>S</font><font color='#808080'>M</font><font color='#808080'>T</font><font color='#FF0000'><b>W</b></font><font color='#FF0000'><b>T</b></font><font color='#808080'>F</font><font color='#808080'>S</font>   20:00 PM - 6:00 AM</div>]]></description>

Notice at the first is "Exit ramp closed." There is nothing before it but, for some weird reason when I parse it. It is on a new line like so, notice it should be up there with "Incident" but, it is dropped down below it. 

Incident:
Exit ramp closed. 
Current Status: Open
Affected Lanes: Exit Ramp
Dates: Wednesday, May 28 - Thursday, May 29
Days Closed: SMTWTFS   20:00 PM - 6:00 AM

This is how it is formated in the td cell. 

<td style='{$td2Style}'><strong>Incident:</strong> {$incident_data_desc}</td>\n";

So as you can see above, there is nothing before it that would cause it to break to a new line both in the table or in the RSS. 

So how can I remove that first return only is that is on the same line with it and not below it. 

I have tried this and a couple of other things like trim with no luck. 

$description         = $item->description;
    $incident_data_desc  = str_replace("\r", '', $description );

Note, I only need that first one removed, the others are fine. I can do it but it will remove all the breaks and I only want to remove that first one that is causing the line to be on a new line. 

Any suggestions?

-Thanks

It is caused by the div as Jacques1 pointed out. So to prevent the break between the Incident and Exit Ramp text you need to remove the <div></div> tags. Example

// strip the div tags from the data
$incident_data_desc = preg_replace('~^<div[^>]+>(.*?)</div>$~is', '$1', $incident_data_desc);
Edited by Ch0cu3r

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.