Add record to database ?!?

James986

Hello,

I have been programming in PHP probably no more than a weak. I am having trouble trying to add a record to a mySQL database.

The code I use is below.
[code]
$blnSecurityCodeIsGood="";
$blnSecurityCodeIsGood=false;
if( isset($_POST['txtCAPTCHA']) && $_POST['txtCAPTCHA'] != $_SESSION['strCAPTCHACode'] ) {
$blnSecurityCodeIsGood=false;
} else {
$blnSecurityCodeIsGood=true;
  $sql = "INSERT INTO 'tblBlogComments' ('CommentID', 'BlogID', 'UserID', 'Active', 'Username', 'Comment') VALUES (NULL, '1', '1', '1', 'James', 'test');";
//  if(!$sql) {
  echo mysql_error($dbQuery);
//  };
  mysql_query($sql,$dbQuery);
  echo $sql."<br>Ok.";
}
[/code]

As you can see i have tried to get it to display and SQL error message but no errors are displayed, but when i check the database through phpMyAdmin no modification have been made in any way, shape or form.

Any help is wanted!
Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
James

change the sql string to this:

$sql = "INSERT INTO `tblBlogComments` ('CommentID', 'BlogID', 'UserID', 'Active', 'Username', 'Comment') VALUES (NULL, '1', '1', '1', 'James', 'test')";

if CommentID is auto_increment however, don't use null. Use LAST_INSERT_ID()

Neither of them worked, CommentID is a primary key set to auto-incriment so i tried both queries with and without LAST_INSERT_ID().

But nothing worked  >:(

Is there anything I missed out? If there an execute function you need to use once the query is specified?

Leave 'CommentID' out of your INSERT query:

$sql = "INSERT INTO `tblBlogComments` (`BlogID`, `UserID`, `Active`, `Username`, `Comment`) VALUES ('1', '1', '1', 'James', 'test')";

Since it's an auto_increment, it will increment without you doing anything to it.  Every time you insert a row...increment.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.