Need some serious help with MySQL versions

simcoweb

Hello:

I operate my own server with RedHat Linux 3.0 Enterprise and recently upgraded the MySQL version from 4.0x to 4.1x in order to utilize some PHP/MySQL functions I needed for a script I wrote for a client (with much help and thanks to the crew here). Since I upgraded to that version of MySQL my server has been crashing literally 3-5 times per day. I've had the techies check all the hardware. Nothing wrong. I'm 99% convinced that there's something with this version upgrade that is clashing with either some software that's installed (typically some shopping carts using standard functions like Xcart) or that it's buggy.

I have the option to upgrade from 4.1x to 5.0. Problem is I don't know if there's issues with 5.0, backwards compatibility issues, torrential death of biblical proportions, or..if it's safe to make the change and all my customer hosting accounts won't collapse in a heap of goo whereas i'll spend countless successive hours resintalling all their crap.

I'm looking for a bit of guidance here if anyone has knowledge of the differences in these versions and what I can expect will happen.

As always, thanks to anyone in advance for their assistance.

Yes, I followed all those and rebuilt apache as instructed. We use Cpanel/WHM system. Here's the instructions for upgrading to 5.0 from current 4.1:

[quote]MySQL Version to use (you must run Software/Update Server Software (or /scripts/mysqlup) for this to take affect. You should then run buildapache/easyapache after changing this option. You may also need to run /scripts/perlinstaller --force Bundle::DBD::mysql. Updating from a previous version of MySQL to a later version is not automatically reversable. You should backup your databases if you think you might wish to downgrade in the future.[/quote]

This was the same procedure going from 4.0 to 4.1. What I want to do now is upgrade to 5.0 but I don't know if this is going to make every script I have on the server going BOING! Last thing I need is to completely wipe out dozens of shopping carts, forums, bloggers, etc. So, not sure what to expect. The software programs using MySQL are your typical programs like Vbulletin, Coppermine, WordPress, etc.

Any insight into if it's 'safe' or not and what I can expect would be greatly appreciated. :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.