how can i design it??

fekaduw

hello,

am about to design a website that allows my client companies to have 6 pages of information on the website. now, before i try to come up with the design, i need somebody to suggest me the look and feel of the db(mysql). if possible give me web links that can help.

its really urgent,
thanks a lot

Two tips:

first - don't bother telling us it's urgent.  If it is urgent, post it in the freelance forum and offer to pay - otherwise sit back and wait for sometime to donate their time to your solution.

second - avoid asking hyper-vague questions. A database doesn't have a look or a feel.  Perhaps what you really want is a simple content management system.

How can anyone give you an answer, it is like having an essay question and asking what you should say? Well, what do you want to say, what do you want your db to do? Store content but how? I presume each page will have a body of content, but do you want to store the title of the content in a different column, or just group it all in one column? Do you want to have a user table so guest can register an account? I hope I made my point which is, it is not a question anyone but you can answer because only you know what you want it to do.

Here is my suggestion, based off how I do things.  I get graph paper and draw out what I want each page to look, and from that I can begin figuring out what kind of tables and columns are going to be needed. Hope this helps.

There is no way anybody could possibly even begin to suggest a database structure for you.  We don't know what your client's needs are.  We don't know what "items" they may or may not have. We don't know how they want those "items" handled. In short, we know absolutely nothing about your clients.  You did not get more specific; all you did was rephrase your vague question into something else equally as vague.

But here's the catch-22: If you are going to go through the trouble of spelling out each and every single facet of your company's needs (which you would have to do), and if we are going to go through the trouble of creating a structure to fit those needs, then this would be going beyond helping you fix your code, to writing your code for you, which we don't do here.  If that is what you are looking for, then take AndyB's suggestion and ask someone to do it for you in the freelance forum.  Or just hand the project off to someone else.  Or something. Because no offense, but if you are asking really vague questions like these: then chances are you are in over your head in the first place.

If you google "database design tutorial" or "relational database design tutorial" you should be able to find something.  Or get a book from the bookstore or the library that walks you through the logical process of db design.  You have to know exactly what the data you want to store is, how you would break it down into distinct fields (i.e., first name, last name, product number, product name, product description) , how these different fields relate to eachother (do you need one-to-one relationships or one-to-many?)  How will you structure your data to avoid repetition?  It's very important that you put enough thought into this, you don't want to be halfway through you're coding and realize there's a fundamental flaw in the structure of your db.  I recommend getting a book and really thinking about what your data is and what you want to do with it.

Kristin

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.