Need a mail receiving client

OM2

I want some code to receive email, reformat and then forward to another email address

I'm not sure where to start with this

Does the application need to be constantly running - monitoring incoming emails?

What is involved?

I did a search and saw many discussions saying that Google App Engine was available for usage

I've no experience of this

Just looking for suggestions

Thanks

OM

Depends on the Operating System that you are using. You can code from scratch (just listen on the SMTP ports) but I have seen programs that allow unix mail to receive the email and just monitor the directories where the mail is kept to process the messages received. I'm sure there are a million ways to accomplish the task and the best way probably depends on the volume, how critical that you be up, what OS you use, how portable you want the code to be, etc.

You could maybe do something like email piping.  I have never actually done it, but basically any email sent to a specified address will be sent to a php script and you can then process the contents as you want.  I have not watched these videos but maybe see if they address your issue appropriately https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=php+email+piping

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.