Multiple Variables In a Cookie?

xProteuSx

I am reading a ton of information on cookies, as I am looking to implement a cookie on my website.  However, I cannot find any articles on assigning more than one variable to a cookie.  Everything I read is of the following format:

setcookie("name", "value", "expiration", "path", "domain", "security");

So it seems that the cookie can only take one true value field.

I am looking to store more than one "value".  For example, if I was looking to store a username, pageviews, and an e-mail address, would I have to set three individual cookies?  This doesn't sound right at all, so I am sure that I am not understanding something.  Any input would be of the greatest assistance ...

No, you can store pretty much as many values as you want.

For example:

setcookie("name1", "value1", "expiration");
setcookie("name2", "value2", "expiration");
setcookie("name3", "value3", "expiration");

Or you can set an array like this:

setcookie("cookie[three]", "cookiethree");
setcookie("cookie[two]", "cookietwo");
setcookie("cookie[one]", "cookieone");

Or you can use serialize to create a single "object" of an array to store it and then deserialize it when you read it.

[b]EDIT: When setting multiple values to a cookie (as in the 1st and 2nd examples), they are not stored in separate cookies, they are all saved within the same cookie.[/b]

a good idea would be to make an array of that information and then
[url=http://www.php.net/serialize]serialize()[/url]
it

example
[code]
$info = array();
$info['username'] = "zanus";
$info['pageviews'] = 74;
$info['email'] = "blah@blah.com";

setcookie("uncookie", serialize($info), time()+(60*60*24));

then call it like

$someinfo = unserialize($_COOKIE['uncookie']);
print_r($someinfo, true);
[/code]

Thanks guys.  I think I have it figured out.  BTW - if you use serialize() you create a security problem (so says php.net; check out their section on cookies).  Right now it seems I am getting ahead of myself.

I had my script working just fine, then I switched hosts and now my script won't work at all.  I have the following form:

[code]
<form method="post" action="index2.php">
<p>Server URL:  <input type="text" name="serverurl" size="30" maxlength="30"></p>
<p>Database Name:  <input type="text" name="databasename" size="30" maxlength="30"></p>
<p>Database Username:  <input type="text" name="nameofuser" size="30" maxlength="30"></p>
<p>Database Password:  <input type="password" name="passofuser" size="30" maxlength="30"></p>
<input type="submit" value="Submit">
</form>
[/code]

The damn thing won't pass the variables to index2.php.  I cannot understand it.  I have been told that variable tracking is turned on at all times on the php version installed on this server, and their documentation states the same.  But I still cannot get the variables to show.

I have tried the following (index2.php):

[code]
echo "$serverurl<br>";
echo "$databasename<br>";
echo "$nameofuser<br>";
echo "$passofuser<br>":
[/code]

The result are four blank lines.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.