Special Characters Problem

dapcigar

Be aware that heredocs are interpreted like double-quoted strings, so character sequences like $x or \n will be interpreted in a special way. If you want plain text like in a single-quoted string, use a nowdoc:

<?php

$str = <<<'MYTEXT'
Example of string
spanning multiple lines
using nowdoc syntax.
MYTEXT;

This makes absolutely no sense.

The part after the “<<<” is the delimiter for the heredoc/nowdoc block. It simply tells PHP where the block begins and where it ends. You do not use variables or anything like that. Just make up an identifier:

<?php

$comment = $_POST['comment'];

$str = <<<'I_AM_THE_DELIMITER'
Example of string
spanning multiple lines
using nowdoc syntax.
I_AM_THE_DELIMITER;

If you want to insert some variable, you have to insert it into the block between the delimiters:

<?php

$comment = $_POST['comment'];

$str = <<<I_AM_THE_DELIMITER
This is the user comment: $comment
I_AM_THE_DELIMITER;

Note that you need a heredoc if you want to directly insert variables like in a double-quoted string. A nowdoc doesn't do that (as I already explained).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.