[ resolved ] Using Hyperlinks with PHP & MySQL Database

phpBeginner06

I have; what I am sure is a pretty common question, but I am going to ask any way. Because I have tried different variations of creating this code from other examples I have seen on the internet, but have not got any script I made to work yet.

I want to be able to create a hyperlink like this: [nobbc]"<a href=somepage.php?id=3">Ford</a>[/nobbc] and have it link to database that I have created; then send information from the database back to another php page.

[u]Here is some basic information concerning the way I have database set up:[/u]

The database is named "vehicleList".
The data table is named "details".
There are 7 table columns; the names of each are as follows: "id", "year", "link", "make", "model", "series", "price".
There are also 7 rows in the data table; at this time.

I want to be about to click on a link and pull data out of a row and post it to a php web page. I also am not sure how to post the data to the php web page; I have been reading about $_Get['id'], but I tried to create a script with it; and it would not work. I would post the script I had, but I got frusturated at it and deleted it from existance.

Any help with this would be great - Thanks

So am I right thinking that you want a list of links that are vehilce manufacturers (ie Ford, Vauxhall, Skoda etc) and when click on one of these it will take you to a page where it will pull all records from details to provde a list of vehilces made by that manufacturer.

Is that right?

I want to be able to click a link; that will send any information in my database's data table row to another page (echo or print it). This way I do not have to go and create a new webpage for every vehicle. I can just add information to database and give link a id; then when end user clicks the link (ie <a href="somepage.php?id3">Ford</a>); data will be transfered from database to a php page, where it will be echoed or printed.

I do not have the specific code I made; I borrowed it from another example online, but never could get it to work for me. I will see if I can find the example and post it back on here.

Here is an example of the PHP code (aka "somepage.php") I pieced together:

[code]<?

//connect to mysql
//change user and password to your mySQL name and password
mysql_connect("mysql","username","password");

//select database
mysql_select_db("vehicleList");

$id = $_GET['id'];
$search = "SELECT * FROM details WHERE id = '$id'";
$result = mysql_query($search);

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
echo $row["year make model series price"];
}

?>[/code]

Then here would be the HTML hyperlink:

[code]<a href="somepage.php?id=3">Ford</a>[/code]

I have been placing the above link in a web page with a HTML extention. Is that OK or do I have to have a link like this in a web page with a PHP extention, in order for it to function?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.