Is a content-type header required when using a Twig template?

NotionCommotion

Or should the Twig class be used to generate the content type header?

require_once '../../../vendor/autoload.php';
Twig_Autoloader::register();
$loader = new Twig_Loader_Filesystem('templates');
$twig = new Twig_Environment($loader, array('debug' => true,));
$twig->addExtension(new Twig_Extension_Debug());
header('Content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8');
echo $twig->render('myTemplate.html', array());

How do you want to generate the header with Twig? I'm not aware of any such feature.

Personally, I define the encoding globally in the webserver configuration. Since I almost always use UTF-8, it wouldn't make sense to repeat the declaration per script. In the rare cases where I do need a different encoding, I can still override the defaults.

You should always declare the encoding in the Content-Type header....

Your advice makes sense, however, I might have misunderstood your earlier post.  I heard that I should always explicitly define the charset when setting a Content-type header.  This seems contradictory to setting it globally in the webserver configuration.

If you declare the encoding at webserver level, that's just as explicit as emitting a Content-Type header in every single script. But the global declaration is clearly more convenient (and easier to change in case that's necessary).

Where you set the encoding isn't really important. It's only important that you set it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.