min word length for fulltext index

stubarny

Hi,

Our host has just informed us that we can't change the min word length for our fulltext indexes because we're on a shared hosting plan.

I'm considering ploughing on with my site design and having both FULLTEXT and normal INDEX versions of the same columns until we can afford dedicated hosting. But I'm unsure what the magnitude of the slowdown in the meantime may be.

The database will contain around 500,000 job adverts so if someone types in 'php' (min word length is 4) roughly how long would it take to do a search using the standard index?

If it will take a very long time are there any other solutions that would speed things up?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Stu

In reality mySQL should happily chew through that number of fields at a desent speed regardless of the length used.  What will have more of an effect are the specs of the server its running on, and how hard the other uses are hammering the connection.  Being on shared hosting you are unlikly to be able to find this out.  You could consider simple hosting your database with another provider?

You could possibly speed it up by having a table only containing the name (such as 'php') and an id_number in it, relating to the full infomation in the other table?  Just meens the table is smaller for the search to plow through.  Just a thought.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.