HTML encoding/decoding issues

germs12

I am having an interesting error in my AJAX app...

I am trying to take the contents of a rich text editor and send it to the server using an XMLHttpRequest via GET and save it to my MySQL database, then be able to retrieve it again and load it into my rich text editor.  The problem is that my encoding and decoding is really messing my style tags up and I am losing all styles.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? Does anyone know the correct encode/decode function to use?  I am using Javascript on the client and PHP on the server.  Any help would be great.

Thanks.

OK....

I take some html tags and in JS do encodeURIComponent.  I then send it over to my PHP server, urlencode it  and send it back and do a decodeURIComponent.  I am losing half my html.

Here is what I start with.

<textarea cols="50" rows="10" id="normal_text" name="normal_text"></textarea><br>
<textarea cols="50" rows="10" id="encoded" name="encoded"></textarea><br>
<textarea cols="50" rows="10" id="rpc_response" name="rpc_response"></textarea><br>

This is what it encoded to.
%3Ctextarea%20cols%3D%2250%22%20rows%3D%2210%22%20id%3D%22normal_text%22%20name%3D%22normal_text%22%3E%3C%2Ftextarea%3E%3Cbr%3E%0A%09%3Ctextarea%20cols%3D%2250%22%20rows%3D%2210%22%20id%3D%22encoded%22%20name%3D%22encoded%22%3E%3C%2Ftextarea%3E%3Cbr%3E%0A%09%3Ctextarea%20cols%3D%2250%22%20rows%3D%2210%22%20id%3D%22rpc_response%22%20name%3D%22rpc_response%22%3E%3C%2Ftextarea%3E%3Cbr%3E

and this is what gets retuned.
<textarea+cols=\"50\"+rows=\"10\"+id=\"normal_text\"+name=\"normal_text\">

WTF?  I lose half of my html.  Any ideas?  I would show you the site, but it is inward facing on campus, sorry.

Well, it would have helped if you showed us the JS code... but have you tried using POST instead of GET?  (I'm only assuming that's the method you're using).  You can pass more data in POST than GET and I think that may be the issue you're running into.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.