query advice/discussion

bagnallc

Im trying to figure out the best way to run a certain type of query and would appreciate advise.

I have a main table with about a million records in.

the columns are reference, id, prev_id, 2ndprev_id

the reference column is a unique individual and the other three columns are id's containing numeric values which relate to a second table with further information. an id will appear up to 50 times in a column.

so for example three rows which have the same id could be -
anghi 6245 4921 3215
hibng 6245 1520 859
kiljh 6245 4895 4441

i have a primary key (unique) and indexes (id, prev_id , 2ndprev_id)
(prev_id, 2ndprev_id) (2ndprev_id, id)

the second table has twenty columns in it and about 100,000 records
it is extremely fast when running queries on it. the table consists of a unique id and then various details about that id. for the example i am using one column which is named type.

an example of a possible query and where i am having trouble optimizing is in english COUNT RECORDS WHERE ID TYPE WAS 1, PREV_ID TYPE was 2 & 2NDLAST_ID TYPE WAS 3

i have thought of five ways of doing this and none are fast and none are using the multiple indexes i set up on the maintable. they are all only picking up on the first part. in this example only 78 rows return and it is taking a long long time to give that answer.

OPTION 1

select count(*) from maintable where id in (select id from secondtable where type=1) and prev_id in (select id from secondtable where type=2)
and 2ndlast_id in (select id from secondtable where type=3)

OPTION 2

select count(*) from maintable
join secondtable as a on maintable.id=a.id
join secondtable as b on maintable.prev_id=b.id
join secondtable as c on maintable.2ndlast_id=c.id
where a.type=1 and b.type=2 and c.type=3

OPTION 3

select count(*) from maintable
join (select id from secondtable where type=1) as a on maintable.id=a.id
join (select id from secondtable where type=2) as b on maintable.prev_id=b.id
join (select id from secondtable where type=3) as c on maintable.2ndlast_id=c.id

OPTION 4

do three separate queries and then make IN statements in the where clause
this works best in theory but when there are 20000 ids matching a criteria it causes the select query to collapse. the query would look like

select count(*) from maintable where id in ( huge number-range entered )
and prev_id in ( another number range )
and 2ndlast_id in ( yet another large range )

OPTION 5

The only other option i can think of is to have further columns in the main table but if going down this route i would have a maintable with 63 columns (20 columns with id details, 20 with prev_id details and 20 with 2ndlast_id details). Surely this goes against every data normalization rule going?

I appreciate any feedback, advice or criticism.

Many thanks

Chris

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.