Virtual server

polmoreno

Hi
I've bought a domain name (polmoreno.com) and I want to know if I can assign it to nameserver of my own. I have a static IP and a router that gives my computers internal IPs (192.168.x.x).

I have an apache server installed in one of my computers (mac os x), so I wonder if there is any way to assing polmoreno.com to my own name server (maybe virtual server?).

I'm pretty new at all of this, so I'd really appreciate some help!

Thanks!

The registry company who you bought (or setup for you) polmoreno should have a control panel where you can specific nameservers. You need to contact this company and ask them can you specify your own name server.

Also as far as I know from my own experiences, even if there is a control panel where you can specify your own dns server - the registry company needs to enter your dns ip into the "root registry".

-steve

Running your own name server is a bit complex, and normaly you would run two for redundancy.  It would be much simpler if you had the people who hold your doming name (the regestra) held the dns record, and just pointed the A-Record for www to your server.  Most do this as included in the price.  Is there any particular resion why you wish to host your own name servers?

[quote author=the_oliver link=topic=117857.msg481326#msg481326 date=1165611284]
Running your own name server is a bit complex, and normaly you would run two for redundancy.  It would be much simpler if you had the people who hold your doming name (the regestra) held the dns record, and just pointed the A-Record for www to your server.  Most do this as included in the price.  Is there any particular resion why you wish to host your own name servers?
[/quote]

No, there's no particular reason, so I guess what you pointed out is a better solution.

Now the problem is that my server (computer) has just an internal IP and it's connected to a router. I've also got a static IP but the router just assigns my computers internal IPs. How must I tell the people who hold my domain to point the 'A-record for www' to my server?

This but is much easyer.  This is done though your router.  The router needs to be set up to forword all requests on port 80 for that IP address to be forworded to your internal ip address.  It is important however that your internal ip address is also static.  EG always 192.168.1.1 .  Most routers have a web based admin or something to make setting this sort of rule up realy simple.  If you can figure it out let us know what type of router it is.

As to telling the domain holders to set up to a-record, most of them will have a controle pannal on the web page to alow you to alter the DNS infomation stored on there servers.  Best thing to do would be to email/call there tech suport and ask.

Good Luck!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.