[ resolved ] POST and php errors

rempires

i'm making a website that uses hidden field to transport data, sometimes the data is transported multiple times, my problem is that php deletes all the data the 2nd time it's moved, if there is a ' in it, but it only does this in hidden fields... which is why i'm so confused, here are two examples of a est script i made to see if it was my code or somthing php did.

test1.php

[code]<form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="test2.php" method="POST">

<textarea name="personalText" cols="31" rows="5" wrap="virtual"></textarea>
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="go!">
</form>[/code]

test2.php

[code]<?php
//get data for avatar user
foreach ($_POST as $field => $value)
{
${$field} = $value;
}

$personalText = stripslashes($personalText);
echo "$personalText<p>

<form enctype='multipart/form-data' action='test2.php' method='POST'>
<input type='hidden' name='personalText' size='600' value='$personalText'>";
?>
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="go!">
</form>
[/code]

if i were to type in test'n on page one and hit submit the next page would also say test'n but when i hit the submit button again it changes to just test

you can see an example fo this exact script here[url=http://www.revolutionaryempires.uni.cc/test1.php] http://www.revolutionaryempires.uni.cc/test1.php[/url]

here is were it gets confusing for me though, if i change the hidden field into
[code]<textarea name='personalText' cols='31' rows='5' wrap='virtual'>$personalText</textarea>[/code]

then the script does no delete the ' and works fine, i need to use hidden fields though as i don't want the suer seeing the data, please help.

thanks in advance, John

If you don't want the user seeing the data then you should probably look into using session variables. Not sure if the data is going to be super secret but the user can simply view source to see it. Session data cannot be seen by the user so easily. But I would guess that this is not really your problem. Try your test page again and submit a single quote and clock Go. Then in the result page, view the source. You will see that the ' gets interpreted as ending the value argument. In your foreach you need to escape the submitted value like so:

[code]
<?php

foreach ($_POST as $field => $value)
{
${$field} = addslashes($value);
}
?>
[/code]

actually it's data the suer already entered, nothing secret, i just don't want to display it.  With this mode, you can go tot eh test page and see it with that added, it adds the slashes, but then it still deletes the ' and all following data.  my server actually automatically adds the / that's why i have the strip tags comment in there. i left the addslashes up as an example.

the only confusing thing is it only does this with hidden fields, if this doesn't work i may move them to session variables and see if that works

The first thing I would do would be remove the enctype='multipart/form-data', unless your uploading files its just not needed.

The next things I must ask is are you positive you have surrounded your values in quotes? You have in your examples, but have you in your actual code?

Another thing. Have you thought of doing this using sessions? IMO its much neater and if you really don't want your end users to see the data its the only way. Is it stands whats to stop them viewing the source and seeing the data?

yes, that code is a copy and paste, well i ahve that encytpe because in teh actual page i'm uploading a file, i made this one up as an exaample because it results in the same error and the original page is over 400 lines.  the concept and error are the exact same, i may be forced to put it into sessions it looks like :/

if i were to use session does anyone know how i could make a loop for session variables like i use for the post data, because i'm moving about 40 pieces of data.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.