Chaining new objects?

NotionCommotion

What's wrong with this is that it's odd (hence difficult to read) and indicates a potential problem with your class design.

If the instance is only (ever?) needed for a single method call, why even have an instance? Why not a static method or even a plain function?

As always, it's better to show concrete code instead of making up some abstract pseudo-example.

What's wrong with this is that it's odd (hence difficult to read) and indicates a potential problem with your class design.

If the instance is only (ever?) needed for a single method call, why even have an instance? Why not a static method or even a plain function?

As always, it's better to show concrete code instead of making up some abstract pseudo-example.

My actual code is shown below.  display() is a controller method.  myObj() and getProp() in my fictional example is myosticket() and getTopics() (I should have called it "myClass" and not "myObj" in my fictional example).  The myosticket class has multiple methods, however, for my needs in this single display() method, only one is required.  Is it better implementing it the way I show below or is it okay to change the invocation of the creation of the object defined by myosticket?

public function display()
    {
        $osticket=new myosticket();
        $data=array(
            'data'=>empty($_POST)
            ?array('name'=>null,'email'=>null,'topicId'=>0,'subject'=>null,'message'=>null,'i_am_human'=>null)
            :$this->stripArray($_POST,array('name','email','topicId','subject','message','i_am_human')),
            'topics'=>$osticket->getTopics(['common','corporate']),
            'title'=>'Contact Us',
            'recaptcha'=>$this->getRecaptcha()
        );
        $this->displayPage($data,dirname(__DIR__).'/templates','default.html');
    }

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.