Can't get VirtualHost to work

jb61264

I'm a very "superficial" (for lack of a better term) Apache user and just have it installed on my PC at work...I'm able to have an index.html page come up for those people on my team on our internal network to see just fine...however, they have to type in the IP address of my machine to get it. I can also have them type my computers "name" in and it will appear just fine too.

I want to have it so that they can just type in "http://team48" and have it show up

I've entered the following in VirtualHost with no success:

NameVirtualHost WW.XX.YY.ZZ
<VirtualHost WW.XX.YY.ZZ>
ServerName team48.companyname.com
DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/team48"
</VirtualHost>

My "Listen" statement is:

Listen WW.XX.YY.ZZ:80

Am I overlooking something in the config file in order to get what I need?

Thanks for any guidance

Jeff

my computer name is ws111321 and I (and others) can get the index page to come up when I enter this into the web browser just fine.

so...i need to get my IT department to add "team48" into the DNS server?...even if I just want this to only show up internally at my company (not on the internet)?

once I do that, is what I have entered with the NameVirtualHost and the accompanying settings correct?

Thanks very much for your reply

yes - you either need to have your computer name called "team48" (which is easy to do) or you need to get your IT department to add "team48" as an Alias in their DNS settings.

It will work then. If you want to test yourself, you should be able to go (from the START -> RUN dialogue box)
ping team48
and it should ping your computer/ip address.

-steve

[quote author=steviewdr link=topic=118234.msg483315#msg483315 date=1165934984]
yes - you either need to have your computer name called "team48" (which is easy to do) or you need to get your IT department to add "team48" as an Alias in their DNS settings.

It will work then. If you want to test yourself, you should be able to go (from the START -> RUN dialogue box)
ping team48
and it should ping your computer/ip address.

-steve
[/quote]

Steve, thanks a million for this, it was driving me crazy because I could have sworn I had all the config information entered correctly.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.