Embedding an Already Built App into Laravel Framework

sarojthapa60

Hi,
I have an app that is in development phase created using php and javascript. I have a couple of plugins - dataTable and exportTable added in the web app. The app has multiple tabs. So far, I have a fairly simple login page that is not even connected to the database. 

I am thinking about using Laravel framework and build the app on top of it. Will I have to just configure the index.php file in Laravel's public directory and drop all the used files in public directory or I will have to work with each files in Views, Controller, and public? How hard or difficult would that be?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently been learning Laravel and there is a large change of structure from using a pure PHP app to using the Laravel framework as it's intended.  So the answer is (I think) there will be quite a bit of work to change your app over to using Laravel.  

Is it worth it?  Difficult to tell, frameworks offer a lot of features, but if you don't need or use them then they can be overkill.

The separation of the views from the controllers and models means that gone are the monolithic pages which handle the display and processing of data.  The end result is a more focused set of scripts which help in development, you know if you want to change the display, you may only have to alter the view.  This can be a bit more of a pain if your used to 'all my processing for page x is in file x', but helps in other ways.

I am thinking about using Laravel framework and build the app on top of it. Will I have to just configure the index.php file in Laravel's public directory and drop all the used files in public directory or I will have to work with each files in Views, Controller, and public? How hard or difficult would that be?

Your front controller and assets files (images, JS, CSS) belong in your public directory. That's about it. Just shoving everything into the public directory doesn't seem like a good fit for anything. You could certainly attempt to integrate your existing app into Laravel, though that depends largely on how large the app is, how far along it is, and how it is written. The more your concerns are tangled, the harder it's going to be. If the app is relatively small or is in the early stages of development, and if it's reasonably written, integration shouldn't be too large a hurdle.

You could certainly attempt to integrate your existing app into Laravel, though that depends largely on how large the app is, how far along it is, and how it is written. The more your concerns are tangled, the harder it's going to be. If the app is relatively small or is in the early stages of development, and if it's reasonably written, integration shouldn't be too large a hurdle.

Surely the whole point of moving to Laravel is to integrate with the framework!  If OP isn't going to use even parts of the functionality, then why bother with a framework in the first place?

Archived