Are these errors indicitive of a security breach?

fastsol

I have my site setup to store all errors in the database and then email me daily with anything that comes up.  Today I got some errors I've not seen before and not sure how to handle them or if I even need to.  I tracked the IP to France and the IP does not show up in my normal stat counter logs, so I'm sure this was a standard hack attempt.  All my databases are intact as is the site itself.

What I want to know is do these errors indicate that they got into something they shouldn't have or are they the result of ill faded attempts and I don't need to look further.

46.105.118.206 : 2017-06-12 12:52:55
E_WARNINGUnknown: open(/tmp/sess_17fd48abcf7ec3019f83e465d8bcc714, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) Unknown 0

E_WARNINGUnknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct () Unknown 0

E_WARNINGUnknown: open(/tmp/sess_17fd48abcf7ec3019f83e465d8bcc714, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) Unknown 0

46.105.118.206 : 2017-06-12 12:52:56
E_WARNINGUnknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct () Unknown 0

I'd suspect some sort of server misconfiguration or temporary issue first I think. Basically those errors are just indicating PHP was unable to save out it's session files due to a permission denied error. You might have something running that temporarily blocks access to the /tmp directory or you may have ended up having a session id collision.

Ideally you'd want to have a dedicated area for your applications session files rather than just dumping them into /tmp. You can either call session_save_path prior to session_start or configure session.save_path in your php.ini file.

I get errors like that randomly on my windows development server, I'm not entirely sure why. I think it has something to do with the session garbage collection and parallel requests.

Archived