PHP login script, protection against injections and other

Soverign

hi recently my login script has been php injected here is the script, and i dont know very much at all aobut php, i bought this script, here it is-:

<?php
if(isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['usern'])) {
$usern = strip_tags($HTTP_POST_VARS['usern']);
$passw = strip_tags($HTTP_POST_VARS['passw']);
setcookie("Username",$usern);
setcookie("Password",$passw);
header("Location: member.php");
exit();
}
require('dblogon.php');
require('std_l.php'); ?>
<center>
<?php
if(isset($_GET['error']) && $_GET['error']=="hl") {
if(isset($_GET['data']) && is_numeric($_GET['data'])) {
echo "Your account is in holiday mode, and cannot be accessed for another ".$_GET['data']." ticks.<br>\n";
} else {
echo "Your account is in holiday mode, and cannot be accessed.<br>\n";
}
}
?>
<table border="0" cellpadding="2px" cellspacing="0" width="300px">
<form method="POST" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>">
<?php
if(isset($_GET['forget']) && $_GET['forget']==1) {
echo "<tr><td>Email address</td><td><input type=\"text\" name=\"email\" maxlength=\"200\" class=\"sdinp\"></td></tr>\n";
echo "<tr><td></td><td><input type=\"submit\" value=\"Recover\" class=\"sdbut\"></td></tr>\n";
} else if(isset($_POST['email'])) {
$result = mysql_query("SELECT email,username,password FROM userinf WHERE email='".$_POST['email']."' ", $db);
if(mysql_num_rows($result)) {
$retval = mysql_fetch_array($result);
$msg = "Your account information is as follows:\n \n";
$msg.= "Username: ".$retval['username']."\n";
$msg.= "Password: ".$retval['password']."\n";
mail($retval['email'],$title.": Account info",$msg,"From: $title");
echo "<tr><td align=\"center\"><b>Your account information has been emailed to you!</b></td></tr>\n";
} else { echo "<tr><td align=\"center\"><b>Account not found!</b></td></tr>\n"; }
} else {
echo "<tr><td>Username</td><td><input type=\"text\" name=\"usern\" maxlength=\"50\" class=\"sdinp\"></td></tr>\n";
echo "<tr><td>Password</td><td><input type=\"password\" name=\"passw\" maxlength=\"50\" class=\"sdinp\"></td></tr>\n";
echo "<tr><td></td><td><input type=\"submit\" value=\"Log me in\" class=\"sdbut\"></td></tr>\n";
echo "<tr><td colspan=\"2\">&nbsp;</td></tr>\n";
echo "<tr><td colspan=\"2\" align=\"center\"><a href=\"login.php?forget=1\">[ forgotten password? ]</a></td></tr>\n";
}
?>
</form>
</table>
</center>
<?php require('std_r.php'); ?>

thanks, btw im a real "noob" at this,please help me someone,just maybe tell me what i can add to the code, thanks

sorry about that :( but whgere do iput it? do i overwrite the current section? canyoushow me a before and after of that section

*EDIT*
echo "<tr><td>Email address</td><td><input type=\"text\" name=\"email\" maxlength=\"200\" class=\"sdinp\"></td></tr>\n";
echo "<tr><td></td><td><input type=\"submit\" value=\"Recover\" class=\"sdbut\"></td></tr>\n";
$email = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['email']);
      $result = mysql_query("SELECT email,username,password FROM userinf WHERE email='$email' ", $db);

should that section look like that? and thats it? thats all i need to do to stop  the php ort mysql injections?

The section you have that looks like this:

[code]
<?php
  $result = mysql_query("SELECT email,username,password FROM userinf WHERE email='".$_POST['email']."' ", $db);
?>
[/code]

Make it look like

[code]
<?php
  $email = mysql_real_escape_string(trim($_POST['email']));
?>
[/code]

You're taking out anything that acn be harmful to a SQL query prior to your query itself.

Just make sure you don't use the <?php and ?> like I do (that helps with color coding php in the forum)

well, nothing is ever 100%.  There's really no way we could begin to give you an honest security assessment without looking at your script from top to bottom, and even everything else on your server, including the setup itself - which we don't really do.. but simple things like this will keep most of the little script kiddies at bay.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.