include_path : is there an elegant solution?

Zearin

I'm starting a new website project, and I'm following a naming convention that is strictly adhered to.  My goal is to configure [tt]include_path[/tt] so that I can simply type a filename and it will be included. 

The scheme is this:
[list]
[*]the website root has a folder named [tt]/includes[/tt]
[*]each subdirectory has its own folder named [tt]/includes[/tt]
[/list]

[b]Directory Structure[/b]
[pre]
[b]+ site_root[/b]
    index.php

[b]+ includes[/b]
          header.php
          footer.php

[b]+ sub_dir[/b]
          index.php

[b]+ includes[/b]
              header.php
              footer.php

[/pre]

[b]Desired Functionality[/b]
Let's say I type [tt]http://www.site_root.com/sub_dir/[/tt] into my browser...

[list]
[*][tt]/sub_dir/index.php[/tt] begins to load
[*]it wants to include [tt]header.php[/tt] from [tt]/sub_dir/includes[/tt]
[*]the included file ([tt]/sub_dir/includes/header.php[/tt] in turn wants to include the [tt]header.php[/tt] from [tt]site_root/includes[/tt]
[/list]

The goal of the scheme is to have a root header which can optionally be appended with headers for specific sections of the website.

I've played around quite a bit with trying to get the include_path to behave the way I want it to, but it seems that I can only get it to include the [tt]header.php[/tt] from the root level or nothing at all.  Does anyone know how to set up this configuration?

The path is relative to the included file, not the including file.  That means you can do

[code=php:0]include('../header.php');[/code] to include one level up.

I think your best bet is a little function to walk up the path and try including files for you.  That function will need to be in a fixed location so it can be included before the other including takes place.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.