Need some help.

last_trace

Okay, My website(dev area only, not viewable by public) works fine right now except I'm not sure that it is done correctly.

I'm using Smarty as my main template engine.

My site map is:
htdocs
--------------------------
--index.php
--.htaccess
--/cache (smarty folder)
--/configs (smarty folder)

--/inc
-------
  --main.php (settings, configuration, etc.)
  --mysql.class.php (mysql class, does NOT call/start the class)
  --funcs.php (misc functions on the site.)
  --navigation.php (for my mod_rewrite/navigation,etc)
-------
--/libs (smarty folder)

--/templates (smarty folder) (holds index.tpl, register.tpl, etc, just the template designs)
-------
  --/code (this is a folder that I created that holds the code for register,etc, pages that need php code.)
-------
--/templates_c (smarty folder)

My index.php calls my mysql class and all of the files in "/templates/code/" folder call it also.

I don't understand why I have to call this every time.

Here's a map below (key: -> means display)
index.php -> index.tpl -> code/index.php

Why do I have to call the mysql connection both in index.php and index.php in the code folder?

Any Ideas?

mysql_connect returns a connection resource. You can save this in a variable, eg;

[code]
<?php
  $cn = mysql_connect();
?>
[/code]

Now, mysql_query optionally allows you to specify which connection resource to use. eg;

[code]
<?php
  mysql_query($sql,$cn);
?>
[/code]

Hence, you can have multiple connections to mutilple databases. However, leaving second (and optional) argument out of mysql_query() it will automatically use the last connection opened (the desired effect when using one database).

Are you explicitly setting this argument? Are you setting it the same each time?

Yes, It's using the same database, and I'm using the same exact call every time.

I figured by including it on index.php (the main page which shows up when you access the website) it would work throughout all of the pages called from that page.

[code]
$db = new MySql_conn;
$db->connect('localhost', 'username', 'password', 'database');
[/code]

is what I'm calling every time.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.