webmin installation problems on ubuntu

I've just setup a lamp server with ubuntu 606 and i'm trying to install webmin.
No success - if i use the .deb file and run the package installer i get an error "Dependency is not satisfiable: libauthen-pam-perl"

downloaded the mentioned package but i have no clue how to install it, i have the package on the desktop.

Anyone care to help a linux noob on this ?

tried the webmin website and it seems so easy installing - yet it wont work for me....

Check to see if yum is installed by going into a terminal and typing yum <enter> - if you get a load of version/help information, it's installed. Then you can run yum install libauthen-pam-perl to install that package's binaries automatically.

If not, try and find an RPM of that package, which will do all of the work for you.

ok - the webmin was genuine crap in my oppinion, if i can't get a better interface than that i might aswell stick to BASH commands.
I guess it isn't other interface to help a linux noob in the server world for the first time?
For instance, i want ftp but i dont know how to get it...

It's just a web interface for common administrative tasks on Linux, targetted towards web server administration. It doesn't come with everything built in - for that you'll need to buy something like WHM. You'll still need to install a lot of the servers and daemons required, webmin is just an easy interface for managing those programs once they're installed - although it will also install some of them for you if you visit the server page for a particular program.

It's an excellent free interface for managing a linux server when you don't have X window access to it (such as a VPS/Dedicated Server via SSH) which is all it's supposed to be - you can't just sit back, install it and wait for it to do everything for you.

I'm not expecting everything to be dumped in my lap at all, rather looking for an understandeable way of getting into it as a server-newbie. The webmin is NOT easy for a newbie in my sence - if your more familiar with servers i guess it may be a tool, but not for me. I Just didn't like it at all. <opinion>period</opinion>
Going back to BASH

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.