Greeting php freaks.

Arend

Hi Arend.  I Don't know how long ago you did any PHP but much has changed.

The biggest change is that any new project should involve the use of the Composer.  https://getcomposer.org/

The language has a lot of new syntax and improvements, and it's also faster than it has ever been.

PHP has 2 of the best MVC frameworks in the web development world in Symfony and Laravel.  

Most professional PHP developers are using phpStorm as their editor. 

With that said, for beginners and people who are coding as a hobby, I personally recommend Visual Studio Code with the Intelephense plugin.  It's free, but there's an enhanced version license you can get for $15 that includes additional highly valuable features that make VSCode better for PHP development.  It's very worth the small investment.

You should learn about git and start using it.  If you don't already have one make a github account.  Here's a solid tutorial on the git basics you need to know, that I've reviewed and can recommend as providing a solid foundational understanding in 30 minutes.

• gizmola pinned this topic
  • 1 year later...
On 1/7/2022 at 9:08 AM, gizmola said:

Hi Arend.  I Don't know how long ago you did any PHP but much has changed.

The biggest change is that any new project should involve the use of the Composer.  https://getcomposer.org/

The language has a lot of new syntax and improvements, and it's also faster than it has ever been.

PHP has 2 of the best MVC frameworks in the web development world in Symfony and Laravel.  

Most professional PHP developers are using phpStorm as their editor. 

With that said, for beginners and people who are coding as a hobby, I personally recommend Visual Studio Code with the Intelephense plugin.  It's free, but there's an enhanced version license you can get for $15 that includes additional highly valuable features that make VSCode better for PHP development.  It's very worth the small investment.

You should learn about git and start using it.  If you don't already have one make a github account.  Here's a solid tutorial on the git basics you need to know, that I've reviewed and can recommend as providing a solid foundational understanding in 30 minutes.

awwww that's so sweet ahahaha, really brings back the nostalgia of when i'd just started coding and was trying to make sense of Visual Code :D also github was something i instantly fell in love with ngl

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Arend,

Welcome back to the world of PHP! It's wonderful to have you here, and I'm looking forward to brushing up on your expertise. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about PHP syntax or any related subject. On your journey, the PHP community is here to support you. Have fun with coding!

Regards,

@smithja1ck