Looking for replacement for Flyspray

Caraes_Naur

I've been using Flyspray to manage my personal projects (non-software) since 2016.  I recently updated my workstation from Kubuntu 18.04 to 22.04.  Naturally, that brought me up to PHP 8.1, which Flyspray has not been updated for.  Flyspray has been on its last legs for a while, but seems completely dead as of a year ago.

So, I need an alternative that has a future.  The main contender seems to be MantisBT.

Does anyone have other suggestions, perhaps something that has a migration path from Flyspray?

Just looking at the way the world has gone, the interest in having issue tracking systems that aren't integrated into source code management, which is something you get from Github, Bitbucket, Gitlab and Launchpad to name a few of the better known options, means that there is isn't much incentive for anything new to appear. 

MantisBT has a large and active userbase, so I think you are in good shape going with that project, and it has been around for over 20 years.  

I'm not sure what you are using Issue tracking for, but there are also any number of free hosted solutions beyond the ones I mentioned, all of which have some level of free use.  Atlassian for example, which has the well known Jira and Confluence products, offers free hosted cloud accounts, for up to 10 users.  

Last but not least, you can always fork Flyspray on github and maintain it yourself if it works for you.  It's LGPL 2 licensed, so the worst case scenario is that someone might need to takeover the project, if the current maintainers have given up on it.  That doesn't seem to be the case from what I can see, but it does seem that their project flyspray base has lost hosting, and they haven't figured out a new solution.  Arch Linux (which has really gotten a boost with the popularity of docker and the many container images that start with it) continues to use Flyspray as their bugtracker, so I don't think there's an emergency.  

If you're using a packaged version, and support for a new package is lagging or non-existant, you can always just git clone the project repo: https://github.com/flyspray/flyspray

Assuming your workstation can support Docker, you can run a PHP container pretty easily with a prior version that supports your Flyspray version.  

*update* Just looked at github and the main contributor Peterdd made some commits as recently as february, so certainly not a ton of new activity, but not dead either.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't use Flyspray for a code project.  I also host it locally on my home workstation, where it is not exposed to the world.  I'm the only user.

Last weekend I tried out MantisBT and Traq, but neither can match Flyspray on features.

I am aware of the whole situation.  Arch has an issue on their Flyspray for moving away from it, citing uncertainty around Flyspray.  I have my own fork of Flyspray, which I used to submit a couple PR's several years ago.  There is a Flyspray fork on Github which has seen a significant amount of activity over the last year.

After spending many hours trying to make 1.0-rc10 work with PHP8.1 (quite a Pandora's box), I decided to try upgrading to the Flyspray ~HEAD.  After a couple issues with the upgrade and migrating several minor changes to my custom theme, 1.0-rc11dev seems to work as it should.

I am a little tempted to recreate Flyspray as a Laravel application, though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.