Website provider upgrading PHP

Paul-D

Hi. My host is upgraiding the server from PHP 5.4.45 to PHP 8. I am running Mysql MYSQL 5.5.62. Is this compatable or will I have to work with new drivers. I will be moving from MYSQL 5.5.62 to 5.7.4-43

mysql_query() and mysql_query(). I was told to upgrade this to PDO and have changed my coding to 
$pdo = connectDB(); $pdo->query().

I have just been told that it is going to be upgraded to MySQLi so my newly created PDO will not work.
Will my old mysql_query() still be valid or will I need to do imidate changes. I do not get a say in things like MySQL and PDO.

Moving from PHP 5.4.45 to PHP 8 is a significant version upgrade, and it's good that you are considering updating your code accordingly. Here are some points to consider:

1. mysql_query(): The mysql_ functions, including mysql_query(), have been deprecated and removed in later PHP versions. You should replace them with MySQLi or PDO.

2. PDO: While you've updated your code to use PDO, keep in mind that PDO is a database access layer providing a uniform method of access to multiple databases, including MySQL. It should work fine with MySQL 5.7.4-43.

It's important to note that updating to PHP 8 and MySQL 5.7 may introduce other compatibility issues or deprecated features in your code. It's recommended to thoroughly test your application in a development environment before making these changes on your live server.

• Like 1
  • Great Answer 1