[SOLVED] Unknown MySQL Error...

gilly914

Hey There,

I just finished installing PHP on the Microsoft IIS platform... I know it is working ok, using the phpinfo(); test...

I went on by installing MYSQL. I know the installation worked, because I use the MySQL Query Browser, and I created a test database.
I tried making a test file just to test the MySQL.

I can't even connect to the database...

I dont know why... I wrote :
$Connection = mysql_connect("localhost", "user", "pass") or die(mysql_error());

The weird thing is that I don't get any error message...
Does anyone have any idea what the problem can be??? or why it doesn't respon...?

Thanks in Advance,
Gilly914!

Ok, Almost nobody answered my post and I don't know if it's because no one knows how to solve my problem or just because no one ever ran into this same problem...

Well, after some research, I finally found out what was wrong. I decided to post this just incase someone might need it in the future...

Here's what I did :
First, I opened the php.ini file in the WINDOWS/system32 folder. I turned the "display_errors" parameter to On (Off by default).
I then got an error message, something like : "Undefined function : mysql_connect()"
I searched for it on google, php.net and mysql.com. I found out that because changes made in the newer version of PHP (PHP5), some changes need to be made to work with MySQL on IIS.

The changes are :
- Open php.ini again and uncomment the line : "extension=php_mysql.dll"
- Copy the files php_mysql.dll and libmysql.dll to your WINDOWS/system32 folder.

And thats it!!...
Restart your computer, and it should work with no problem...

You can turn the "display_errors" setting back to "Off" so you don't see all the unnessacery errors.

I hope I helped some of you folks out there that one day will decide to install PHP and MySQL on the Microsoft IIS Platform...

[quote author=gilly914 link=topic=119970.msg492675#msg492675 date=1167327716]
Ok, Almost nobody answered my post and I don't know if it's because no one knows how to solve my problem or just because no one ever ran into this same problem...

Well, after some research, I finally found out what was wrong. I decided to post this just incase someone might need it in the future...

Here's what I did :
First, I opened the php.ini file in the WINDOWS/system32 folder. I turned the "display_errors" parameter to On (Off by default).
I then got an error message, something like : "Undefined function : mysql_connect()"
I searched for it on google, php.net and mysql.com. I found out that because changes made in the newer version of PHP (PHP5), some changes need to be made to work with MySQL on IIS.

The changes are :
- Open php.ini again and uncomment the line : "extension=php_mysql.dll"
- Copy the files php_mysql.dll and libmysql.dll to your WINDOWS/system32 folder.

And thats it!!...
Restart your computer, and it should work with no problem...

You can turn the "display_errors" setting back to "Off" so you don't see all the unnessacery errors.

I hope I helped some of you folks out there that one day will decide to install PHP and MySQL on the Microsoft IIS Platform...
[/quote]
Whenever you are developing scripts you should always turn on errors have set the error reporting to E_ALL or higher. You only turn display_errors off when you have finished development. Also I do have a thread in the FAQ/Code Snippet Repository about the undefined mysql function errors

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.