A Band Site - Need design advice

SharkBait

This is the site: www.mrcb.ca

It is for a non-profit organization and is a local Concert Band.

I need some design/graphic suggestions because I just don't like it very much and unfortunately I am not the greatest when it comes to design. Backend stuff I'm good at, but well ya you get the point!

They want to keep the header, yea it's not the best but I can't convince them otherwise, one of the members came up with the text.

Thanks

I'm not much of a designer either. Sometimes I'll go here:

http://www.templatesbox.com/

and take a look at all their different templates to give me ideas. I have't paid for their membership, mostly because I use them as an idea site. But, their colors match and other their photo elements get what creative juices I have flowing.

michaellunsford  - nice site for ideas and layouts. Cheers.

Sharkbait - The site is ok. The font-color on the a:hover of the Nav menu is a bad colour IMO - hard to see. The heading Site Navigation - firstly you dont underline text in Web Dev. Secondly do you need this Heading - ain't it obvious? Maybe not to some people. I would reduce the size of the picture of the Maple Ridge Bandstand (thing with the roof), because...well to me it doesnt have anything to do with Concert Bands. It may well spark off something to someone who knows Bandstands etc. Id make it a little smaller however. Its currently too overpowering.

Awhhh - your a:visited on my IE6 have also a bad light orange colour making them hard to head.
Anyways - has potential. You will have a lot of work getting gallery to fit in nicely :-).

-steve

Thanks for the replies.

Yea getting the gallery to fit nicely seems to be a nitemare and I haven't had time to look at it. Was probably going to code something custom for them as I find it easier than skinning pre-made things.

i agree with the underlining of the headings for the navigation section etc, it is kinda silly.  I'm going to have to do some changes when I can get a chance.

Thanks again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.