Process data in a string.

StrangeWill

Okay so I have a string:

"This is a {today.weather} day"

We can replace {today.weather} with $this->$Strings['today']['weather'] then use eval? Right?

Except the string may include "{" or ";" which seems to confuse the hell out of eval.

Example:
'<p style="font-size:28px;">This is a {today.weather} day</p>'

Any ideas on how to overcome this problem efficiently? Wouldn't it be extremely time consuming to loop through every instance of {var.var} (gather them using regex) and then do a replace one by one?

[quote]We can replace {today.weather} with $this->$Strings['today']['weather'] then use eval? Right?[/quote]

How? eval doesnt replace anything, it evaluates a string as if it where php. If this...

[code=php:0]
[/code]

is your string, I don't see what good eval() would be.

[quote author=thorpe link=topic=121057.msg497155#msg497155 date=1167959661]
[quote]We can replace {today.weather} with $this->$Strings['today']['weather'] then use eval? Right?[/quote]

How? eval doesnt replace anything, it evaluates a string as if it where php. If this...

[code=php:0]
[/code]

is your string, I don't see what good eval() would be.
[/quote]
Well what I'd do is replace {today.weather} with $this->Strings['today']['weather'] than eval that, but that doesn't work.

[quote author=Barand link=topic=121057.msg497167#msg497167 date=1167960748]
Have a look at
http://www.php.net/str_replace
[/quote]
Okay, so what you're saying is I should use regex to get all occurrences of {val.val} in my string, then build that into an array, and do a replace?

I would think that to be EXTREMELY slow, but if that wouldn't be the case, then thanks. :)

So like:
Regex->Get all "{(*.).(*.)}"
Split all (if needed) to get the two separate vals
do(while there are values to process)
{
replace($original regex val, $this->$Strings[$RegexSplit[0],$RegexSplit[1]]);
}

??

Basically I'm building a small (but QUICK) template engine, thats why I'm trying to keep load times small, and need it to process lots of info.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.