[SOLVED] Would anyone like the challenge of helping to build a PHP website???

Jeff Morris

[color=navy]Hello everyone...
[/color]
[color=orange]My name is Jeff Morris and I run an online chess league called the All Nations Chess League, which runs on one of the largest arenas in the world to play online chess, playchess.com.  I own a domain, which I have designed myself, and have recently converted it to php. My php programming skills are very basic - I am learning from an e-book... However this is proving difficult... I do not have the experience to achieve the things I would like to do on the ANCL site, so here is where you might come in!!!!!!
I need to find someone (desireably who likes chess) that would like the challenge of helping with the running of my website.  The website is at the following address [/color][url=http://www.allnationschessleague.com/index.html]http://www.allnationschessleague.com/index.html [/url] so check it out and let me know what you think.
Some of the things I would like to achieve are as follows.
[color=red]1) I would like to register details of players, who may access eachother's information. The information stored would be their playchess.com username, first name, surname, rating etc.[/color]
[color=green]2) Since I have took over the running of the ANCL, I have converted the website to 4 languages. From being purely English, to being English, German, Spanish and French. However these pages are as yet unlinked. For example the Team List and Results table should be the same in each of the languages, and if you go to the website you will understand what i mean.. Can this be solved as currently I have to re-enter the information into each of the languages every time new players are enroled or new results/fixtures come in.[/color]
[color=purple]3) Lastly, playchess.com is an anti-cheating server. What this means is every single game played on playchess is analysised, and cheaters have their rating deleted, as apposed to playing on yahoo games where cheating is very common place by way of engines. So, the third problem is: is it possible to log the players IP addresses, and therefore allowing me to stop people that have been proven a cheat to come back under a different username?[/color]
soooooooooooo, if you would like to uptake any of the challenges... please get in touch with me!!! I would love to hear from you..  My email address is jc_morris@hotmail.co.uk and if you have messengers, my msn addy is as email address, and my aim address is jcmorris1981

THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH FOR LISTENING AND I EAGERLY AWAIT YOUR RESPONSE

as taith stated this is for getting help with your website/script you are developing (not get us to do it for you). If you want someone to do something for you post in the freelancing forum. Not here.

Also learn to walk before you can run! You are a classic example of many PHP noobs. Dont understand.. cant be bothered.. get someone else to do it for me. You will not pickup PHP straight away. PHP is a programming language. It takes time to understand it. When starting out with PHP create something extremely basic such as form with an input field and then show what ever was entered in the browser. Then build on that basic script with the skills/knowledge you build as you learn PHP. From that simple script you might be able to convert it into a guestbook or somethin, and then that guestbook into a forum/blog.

You will not stop learning PHP.

this is the wrong place to post this.

i say screw e-books.

I recently bought:
[b]Build your own Database Driven Website using PHP & MYSQL by Kevin Yank.[/b]

Which I read in about a week and within about 2 weeks felt very comfortable with php and was already under way making my site. To be fair I did already know asp, which helped, but it is a very good book and I reccomend it.
Its published by sitepoint:
[url=http://www.Sitepoint.com]http://www.Sitepoint.com[/url]

These guys are right. It'll be tough to find some one to program for free. But since you did post in the 'PHP Help' section, in the true spirit of this forum I'd like to offer some advice. From what you described above, this problem will extend past PHP. Here's the steps (IMHO) you need to take to transform this site into what you want it to be:
[list]
[*]Revamp the site layout/theme (I'm not a fan of static backgrounds)
[*]Ditch the tables for CSS based layout
[*]Setup your database backend (MySQL I'm guessing, since you're not paying a programmer, I doubt you're buying a DB, MySQL is awesome anyway)
[*]Develop your content engine (This will be complicated because you want to have the same content that can be displayed in many languages)
[*]Add all the other little tid-bits you listed
[/list]

Like wildteen88 said, baby-steps! We'd be glad to help you along the way. But to be terribly cliche, "We can only show you the door, you're the one that has to walk through it..."

I have to say guys that you have been really helpful!!! ok, its not all what i wanted to hear, but its your honest opinions which i greatly appreciate.... i really do....

SOOOOOOOO a biggggggggg thank you to all of your help...

btw, as remarkable as this may seem, i found someone who is VERY good with PHP, who is keen to work on the site, and would love the challenge!!!! shocking aye hehe... but true.. he has already taught me more than php for dummies taught me with HOURS of reading!!! just basic concepts that i didnt understand for example... so, i hope to pick up php over time, then come back and help some other poor idiot with his/her website hehe.... what goes around comes around!!!!..... so, as time goes by im sure i will use phpfreaks more and more!!!!!! 

thanks again guys...

Jeff

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.