Help with regular expression in .htaccess file

Using an .htaccess file I want to block all access (except from localhost) of files with one exception. The exception being image files ending with [b].thumb.*[/b] in the file name. The asterisk denoting jpg|jpeg|gif|png extensions.

Examples:
Allow access to [green]image4849.thumb.jpg[/green]
Deny access to [red]image4948.jpg[/red] and any other file [u]not[/u] containing ".thumb.*"

This is what I've come up with, it's a mess and obviously doesn't work... :-\

[code]
<FilesMatch "(.thumb.(gif|jpg|jpeg|png)$)">
    Order Allow, Deny
    Deny from all
    Allow from localhost
</FilesMatch>
[/code]

Well with all due respect, I've read many sites like that including the documentation at apache.org, and that's why I've come here to get explicit help rather than a referral to another site.

Maybe my question is more of a regexp one and less an htaccess question? In that, I want my regexp to match everything BUT (*.thumb.jp?g|gif|png). I don't know how to tell FilesMatch to do that.

Yeah, I was just looking at the error logs, "[tt]order takes one argument, 'allow,deny', 'deny,allow', or 'mutual-failure'[/tt]"

I sort of have it working now:

[code]
<FilesMatch "\.thumb\.(gif|jpe?g|png)$">
order allow,deny
deny from all
</FilesMatch>
[/code]

Except, in reverse. :D

It's allowing access to everything but [tt]thumb.gif|jp?g|png[/tt] files. I want it to do the INVERSE; [u]allow[/u] access to [u]only[/u] [tt]thumb.gif|jp?g|png[/tt] files. That's what I've been struggling with all along.

I dug up an old PHP book and skimmed through some pages on regular expressions.

I got it to work using:

[code]
<FilesMatch "[^\.thumb]\.(gif|jpe?g|png)$">
order allow,deny
deny from all
</FilesMatch>
[/code]

I'm no expert, so if anyone sees an error in that, please let me know, and thanks for the help.

[tt][ ][/tt]'s denote a character class, meaning any one of the characters inside. The ^ changes the behavior from include to exclude. If Apache follows PCRE as it states, the expression will work for your case, but it will also allow a.gif, c.gif, etc.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.