extreme query returning unexpected results

michaellunsford

I'm doing a FULLTEXT search across four tables. Some tables have certain fields that others do not, so to get around the "wrong column count" errors, I added [color=blue]'' AS `field_name`[/color] to those queries who were missing that field.

For example:

[code]
(SELECT `pages_per_minute`,`paper_trays`,'' AS `processor`, '' AS `hard_drive`,'printers' AS `table_name` FROM `printers`)
UNION
(SELECT '' AS `pages_per_minute`,'' AS `paper_trays`,`processor`, `hard_drive`, 'computers' AS `table_name`FROM `computers`)
[/code]

What's weird, I get the occasional weirdo response:

[0]['pages_per_minute'] = 225
[0]['paper_trays'] = 2 trays
[0]['processor'] =
[0]['hard_drive'] =
[0]['table_name'] = printers

[1]['pages_per_minute'] =
[1]['paper_trays'] = [b]250 Gigabyte[b]
[1]['processor'] = Intel
[1]['hard_drive'] = 250 Gigabyte
[1]['table_name'] = computers

I'm really scratching my head on this one, though. So any insight would be awesome.

no, that's the real output (and the problem). Here is the output again, in code tags to make it a little cleaner.

[code]
[0]['pages_per_minute'] = 225
[0]['paper_trays'] = 2 trays
[0]['processor'] =
[0]['hard_drive'] =
[0]['table_name'] = printers

[1]['pages_per_minute'] =
[1]['paper_trays'] = 250 Gigabyte
[1]['processor'] = Intel
[1]['hard_drive'] = 250 Gigabyte
[1]['table_name'] = computers
[/code]

weird... I reverse it and it works fine. Wonder what's up with that

By the way, duplicating the query in phpMyAdmin does the same thing: one way, it "creates" data (apparently based on another record in the same row), the other way, the data seems accurate (at least for the same 9 records it returns).

I gave a simplified example to simplify the nuances of the different tables -- printers and computers are pretty easy in this crowd  :)

Anyway, you can download the tables (with contents) [url=http://www.virtual-showcase.net/mls_lafayette.sql.zip]here[/url] (it's about 1.2 megabytes)

You can perform a search on the test-site [url=http://new.realestatedela.com/residential.html]here[/url]. To reproduce the results search for [color=blue]breaux bridge[/color]. The second match is the culprit: L06134084.

The problem is it's a commercial property that's returning bedrooms. And there isn't even a bedrooms field in that table. Reveal source and you can easily find the SQL query tucked inside HTML comments, and a little further down, I'm print_r()ing the entire $row.

New information:
1. I've acheived the same error using a different search method. I can pull up the same record by searching by just the number: [color=blue]L06134084[/color]. The difference is the number search doesn't use MATCH() AGAINST() and it's still producing the same results.

2. phpMyAdmin. I've run the search a dozen different ways. Basically, if I put residential in front of commercial, the bedrooms get "created" from one of the [color=blue]square foot[/color] fields -- even if eliminate all the other tables.

If anyone has been ambitious enough to try loading the database and duplicating the search, I'd be very curious to know if you get the same results. PS, I'm running MySQL 4.1.21

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.