Problem using forms, special characters seem to delimit, or shorten the message

diode

Hello,

I had this working, and I accidentally changed some things, thinking it was a different file, and saved it, now I'm stuck. What I'm trying to do is fix my page where it is supposed to let you type your message, then when you click on 'Preview', it loads the same page, only with a table cell containing the message you just typed.

The problem is, when you type something with special characters in it, such as, "I'm posting this message.", when you click on 'Preview', it will show, "I/'m posting this message."

And when I go to post it after I preview it, the message list shows it as, "I/'m" and that's it. I've spent hours trying to figure it out.

Here is my the code portion that deals with posting a message:
[code]
<?php
session_start();

$boardno=$_GET['boardno'];
$topicno=$_GET['topicno'];
$message = nl2br($_POST['message']);
$msgpreview = $message;
$sig = $_SESSION['signature'];

echo "message: <br>$message<br><br>";
echo "msgpreview: <br>$msgpreview<br><br>";

if ($message == '')
                  {

echo "<form action='try.php?boardno=$boardno&topicno=$topicno' method='post'>";

echo "Type your message below: <br><br>";
                          echo "<textarea name='message' rows=20 cols=80 wrap>\n\n---\n$sig</textarea>";

echo "<p><input type='submit'                  value='Preview'/> ";
                          echo "<input    type='reset'  name='reset'    value='Reset'>";

echo "</form>";

} else
                      {

echo "<form action='msgredir.php?boardno=$boardno&topicno=$topicno' method='post'>";
                                  echo "$msgpreview";

echo "<input type='hidden' name='message' value='$message'/>";
                                echo "<input type='submit'                  value='Post message'/>";

echo "</form>";

echo "<textarea name='message' rows=20 cols=80 wrap>$message</textarea>";

echo "</form>";

}
?>[/code]

Obviously I cut the code down to simply things, but it does the same thing.

Any way to get this looking normal?

Thanks in advance :),
diode

It still didn't work. It's doing the same thing. Are forms even the correct way to go about doing this? Here is my code now:

[code]<?php
session_start();

$msgpreview = $message;

if ($message == '')
                  {

echo "</form>";

} else
                      {

echo "<form action='msgredir.php?boardno=$boardno&topicno=$topicno' method='post'>";
                                echo "msgpreview: <br>".strip_tags($msgpreview)."<br><br>";
                                echo "<input type='hidden' name='message' value='$message'/>";

echo "</form>";

echo "</form>";

}
?>[/code]

I really appreciate it,
diode

Since you are using single quotes to delimit the value of the message in your form, if you have a single quote in the message it will terminate the value prematurely. The backslash is an escape character only in PHP (and MySQL), what you need to do is use the function [url=http://www.php.net/htmlentities]htmlentities[/url] with [b]ENT_QUOTES[/b] as the second parameter when you put the value in the form.
[code]<?php
                                echo "msgpreview: <br>".strip_tags($msgpreview)."<br><br>";
                                echo "<input type='hidden' name='message' value='" . htmlentities($message,ENT_QUOTES) . "'/>";
?>[/code]

Ken

Hey thanks, Ken. It now posts the complete message to the message list. But whenever there is a ' it still puts a slash before it.

How would the pros make a message preview screen before deciding to actually post the message? lol

Here is my code now:

[code]<?php
session_start();

$msgpreview = $message;

if ($message == '')
                  {

echo "</form>";

} else
                      {

//                                  echo "$msgpreview";
//                                  echo "msgpreview: <br>".strip_tags($msgpreview)."<br><br>";
                                  echo "stripslashes($msgpreview)";

//                                  echo "<input type='hidden' name='message' value='$stripslashes($message)'/>";
                                echo "<input type='hidden' name='message' value='" . htmlentities($message,ENT_QUOTES) . "'/>";

echo "</form>";

echo "</form>";

}

?>

[/code]

diode

You should always use the stripslashes() function on the incoming text. Only use the nl2br() function when you're displaying the text.

[code]<?php
$message = stripslashes($_POST['message']);
$msgpreview = $message;
?>[/code]
[code]<?php
echo "message: <br>nl2nbr($message)<br><br>";
echo "msgpreview: <br>nl2br($msgpreview)<br><br>";
?>[/code]

and
[code]<?php
echo "<input type='hidden' name='message' value='" . nl2br(htmlentities($message,ENT_QUOTES)) . "'/>";
?>[/code]

Ken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.