Google Analytics

steelmanronald06

I have to give Google a big thanks due to their great web services.  I recently added their search engine to my site, which helps me learn what people are looking for on my site, so I can make it easier to find, and just yesterday I added the code to make Google Analytics work.  A must have for all web site owners.

Today I got home and spent an hour pouring through detailed reports generated by google, and I still had more that I could have looked at had google had them updated.  However, a small bit of reports held no information since I had just signed up last night and it takes a bit for Google to get the processing done on your site. What I did find, however, was amazing results.

Like I know my biggest referral is Hotscripts and second place is PHPFreaks.  So that tells me that I need to add more of my tutorials and content to Hotscripts because that is what users go to find my site.  My biggest search engine is Google with Altavista coming in second place.  The keywords used the most in a search engine to find my site were Beginning PHP and second place was Simple AJAX (I have one AJAX tutorial in the forums...go figure!).  So now, guess what I'm gonna do?  I'm going to add more AJAX and PHP Beginners tutorials to the site, submit more of my content to Hotscripts, and work on fleshing out the content that people didn't really look for to try and make it more appealing to visitors.

Other reports include how long a visitor remained on my site, New vs Returning visitors (48/52 ratio), and much more.

I would highly recommend giving it a shot. I am considering putting the code into the footer of PHPFreaks just so we can see what phpfreaks strong and weak points are, and focus on them.

Anyone else have similar success with it?

yeah definitely. I've not gotten into it as much as you seem to have, mainly because I keep alot "in house", but in terms of being able to break down/improve what you have/need, it's definitely the dogs bollocks - who better to get advice/stats about what you get/what you need to improve on than the Kings of Search themselves...

Since posting this, I have went back and did a more in-depth search, and found so much more.  It is amazing. It is like the flow of information never ends. Futhermore, you can do data tracking, most popular browser, resolutions viewed, java enabled, flash (and version), and so much more about the user.  You can create filters to show specific data and even key in an ip address and see how many time that user comes back, where he comes from, and what he viewed.  Pretty amazing stuff.  I can't wait to see the other webmaster tools Google comes out with.

Thus far I am using:

Analytics
Adsense
Google Email with yourname@netgeekz.net email addresses
Google Custom Search (Fully integrates into my web site and their adding new logging features)

Is there anything else out there that google has that I have missed that you would recommend?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.