Management game Formula 1

kurtiejjj

hi, I'm new to this forum, despite having played around with PHP a bit modifying things but i've never created something myself, and that's where I'm stuck.

I have been thinking and brainstorming about developing a web-text-based formula 1 manager, I've come up with a lot of good ideas but I can't really implement them into PHP. Is there anyone who could get me going? Or wants to join me on this project?

I have put all my ideas on paper already, but how to realise something like that? In essence it's a game which is a lot more advanced and realistic then any of the other games around (at least I want to try), it doesn't only evolve around buying a chassis, tyres, enginge driver etc. It's devoloping a team over the course of a few seasons on the basis of a real existing formula 1 team like ferrari or spyker etc. Contracting drivers, engineers, sponsors etc. Just like the real world of F1. So it's more a game evolving around managing the team than doing the racing car setups and actually racing.

That said the game engine is my main point of concern but shouldn't be a big problem for someone who has good knowledge of PHP. It has of course something to do with chance; there is x% chance he wins the race or finishes second or doesn't finish at all, as he has a car with an y-rating and tyres with an z-rating etc. Is that understandable?

I have a clear idea of how I should design it but sadly I'm more of creative person than someone who knows PHP inside-out. Is there anyone who would like to get me started with examples of how to build something like that? I might even have some spare cash left if that would help? ;)

Please do let me know on what subjects of PHP I should research more to build a game.

Now that you have your ideas on paper, you need to start figuring out the structure of things on paper. Start with the tables for your database. The database for anything like this will be decently complex.

Formulas with random numbers should not be as complex as you would think. Especially not if you design the precentage and formula beforehand.

Then you can start with your code. Just take it in baby steps. User signup first, then profiles, then teams, etc.

When you write anything involving a form, be cautious of what you allow as values. Don't say like tread=10 if the form value is 10. People will start modifing POST data and set it to 100.

I'm working with him on this now, User signup is in progress, profiles aren't happening right away (all we need is for the user to exist), teams are going to be after the car system is built, the upgrades, then further stuff.  I am doing formulas for this game, I was actually wondering, what would I do to keep the formulas based on tons of things.  For example I was thinking of calculating the winner by points:

so points would = a random between 95 and 100*hp/10+accel and a bit more going into it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.