Selecting Specific Row when Several Match

dismissedasdrone

Hi, this is my first post and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with an issue I'm having related to MySQL.

Here are the tables:  (example

[b]tbl_info[/b]
[code]
id, fk_data_id status
[/code]

[b]tbl_data[/b]
[code]
id value fk_picture_id
[/code]

[b]tbl_picture[/b]
[code]
id
picture_id
path
[/code]

so if I run something like

[code]
SELECT i.id as one, d.value as two, p.path as three
FROM tbl_info i, tbl_data d, tbl_picture p
WHERE i.fk_data_id = d.id
AND d.fk_picture_id = p.id
[/code]

This works fine.  The trouble I'm having is that there may be multiple records in tbl_picture that have the same picture_id (non-unique column).  There is an auto-incrementing column (id) in the table.  Is there a way to add something to my query that would only return the tbl_picture.path with the highest id value? (the assumption being that the higher/highest value would be the most recent)

I'm sure I did a terrible job of explaining this, but hopefully somebody can help me out.

Thanks in advance,

Thanks for your reply. 

I was hoping that wasn't going to be the case.  My real world situation involves about 6 times the tables and relationships so it seems like I would basically need to rebuild the majority of the first SELECT into the sub-statement...since I'm guessing a simple "SELECT id FROM tbl_picture ORDER by id DESC" wouldn't be specific enough...

Thanks again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.