IF Statements

danmaxito

Hey guys,
Problem: I have an html form that has a dropdown list. When the user click on a name from the dropdown list and hits submit, the name is stored in a session. Now, I am trying to write some php code that says:

If name = Freddy
  then $age = 4
elseif
name = Alex
  then $age = 6
elseif
name = Derek
  then $age = 2

How would I go about in doing this?

Thanks
Danny

[code]
<?php
  $name = isset($_POST['name']) : $_POST['name'] ? '';
  switch ($name) {
    case 'Freddy':
      $age = 4;
      break;
    case 'Alex':
      $age = 6;
      break;
    case 'Derek':
      $age = 2;
      break;
  }
?>
[/code]

Awesome! Thanks guys for your help.

As I was putting this code together (before I posted it here) I used the SWITCH method. I just wrote the code incorrectly, and since I am new to PHP, I was curious if I was doing things wrong.

Thorpe - I used your code (Thanks by the way), but I had to edit some of the code for it to work:

I changed [code]$name = isset($_POST['name']) : $_POST['name'] ? '';[/code]
to
[code]$name = $_POST["name"];[/code]

Am I doing something wrong here?

Danny

thorpe, I appreciate all your help. If at anytime, I am bugging you, let me know.

Here is another problem that I am not understanding:
I set everything to run smoothly. User goes to webpage, selects his name, and a session is then created with the users info. Once the users goes back to the homepage, his previous session is destroyed, and he is asked for is name again. Why is it destroying the session when it was not instructed to do so???

I created an if statement on the home page that says, "If a session is created, then tell them that they are logged in as Freddy(Example) and give them the option to continue as Freddy, or to destroy the session and log in as someone else.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.