basic chat

jwk811

im trying to build a simple 1 on 1 chat for site help between me and a potential customer... and also a chat where vistors can talk among eachother.. i know i have to use ajax and js and maybe asp.. what i need to figure out it how when someone sends the message, how do i make it appear on the other persons screen? am i supposed to add it to a db and then call it? I'm not sure just need a little help so i can get a gist of how I can go about doing this, and any further help as well... thanks!

The clue is:
when enter a message to somebody, call a function to save the text message to the database so that other people can read the message.
On the other hand, u need to check the database for every period, if there's a new message, show the message on the page (You can show the message dynamically with DOM, and you can request the page without refresh all the page with Ajax).

[quote](You can show the message dynamically with DOM, and you can request the page without refresh all the page with Ajax). [/quote]

How would I do that? Show the message.

Okay so when someone saves their message to the database that message needs to add to the list of the conversation that has already started so I could call for any new messages with AJAX like every few seconds somehow and if their is any new messages then I take that and add it to the list. I don't know how I could get the new messages and add it to the list.. could someone help me with that? Thanks!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.