Cannot connect to mysql from command line, locally

hippypink

also getting errors in my application: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

I cannot login to phpmyadmin, nor mysql from the command line.

restarting mysql and db server no help.  it occurs for multiple databases as well, each with different username and password.

oh, one mroe thing about this, the database is running on a separate database server.  I have many different applications.  I also have two different databases setup (on different ports).  Neither of them work. 

IF I copy over a database from the database server and run it on the same box as the web application, then it works. 

This problem appeared all of a sudden, after several years of this setup arrangement.

[quote author=hippypink link=topic=123695.msg511633#msg511633 date=1169580946]
oh, one mroe thing about this, the database is running on a separate database server.  I have many different applications.  I also have two different databases setup (on different ports).  Neither of them work. 

IF I copy over a database from the database server and run it on the same box as the web application, then it works. 

This problem appeared all of a sudden, after several years of this setup arrangement.
[/quote]
If you're willing to pay, pay your admin (or hire one).  Otherwise, it seems like the connection was established, then timed out... how are these boxes separated?

Thats the thing, my admin is stumped on this one, and I don't know how to outsource/hire another for this one issue.  Where do I go/start?  Are you for hire on a support issue like this?

The boxes are all on the same subnet mask, all behind the same switch.

Does this answer your question ?

After re-evaluation, I believe only  the one mysql server was having problems (not sure though).  The mysql installation having the problem was for one software application--but it doesnt make sense that I could not connect via command prompt (shell)--not unless someone changed the password to the db (e.g. hacker, or, one of our guys), or mysql/password file was corrupt.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.