Big database design

danger2oo6

Hi all,

I need a little help in a database design.

I want to design a database which will have around 500.000 records and I would like to know if you know some rules I have to follow.
The database will be used for a dating site where will be lots of query`s on the database and a good database design will improve the response time.

Thank you in advance,
Bogdan.

The best things to start with is to use id's for everything and don't duplicate data. For example when you put in your messaging service on your site, don't use username_to or username_from, use id_to and id_from. So instead of:

To: danger2oo6

it would be:

To: 23

...or whatever numbers they are. Then you query the member name and whatever else you need. By making your database this way it will cut down a lot of space and your queries will be faster.

-Chris

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.