Accessing Site.

SoireeExtreme

Hi, I just installed apache. I tested and it said it works. The typical startup page it installs. But thats on my computer with my IP address and computers name.

So now what I want to know is how do I get others to access my web site. Or in other terms make it accessible to the world?

And mind you I've looked up and down google searchs with different keyworlds and looked at the apache manuel but nothing seems to help me with my problem. Or should I say I can't find the right help to help me.

But on top of that I'm very very new to apache. And don't know much about it.

So if anyone can help me out and tell me how to make my sites on my computer seeable to the would that would be great thank you in advance. :D

Do you have a public IP address? Can your friend down the road etc. type in your ip address: http://yourip and see your website??
I presume you have broadband internet? Did you recieve an Internet Router, a wireless router, or a box to which your Internet cable plugs into?? You may have to configure this router to allow people to see and access apache on your computer.

I suggest you Read through the other Questions in this "Apache Server" board - as there are many ppl like yourself whose questions have already been answered here. Take a quick read down, and post back if your still stuck.

-steve

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for my late reply back. Its my lose for taking so long anyways. But still..... Anyways...

I have a broadband connection. I do know my ip address. And thats what I've been letting others try to access my site/computer with. But As we know the problem is they can't.

I received a modem like most people do from my broadband company.... So I guess that would be the so called BOX that my cable plugs into.

I'll take a look around thanks. But I'll probably end up having problems finding anything I want as always and screw something up I'm sure... But I'll be sure to post back again. But if any info anyone wants to give now would be much helpful. As the sooner I get this taken care the better. Thanks in advance. :D

Ok, a slight update. I've been using AOL to try to access my site and see if it would load my web site...

A little info about that is. I can use any web browser to access my site local but I wasn't able to use AOL for the longest time. But I just tried it and it worked. But instead of just typing my IP I typed in a bunch of stuff that leads to my broadband company so that worked... But I had a friend to try and load it the way I did. And it didn't work for her. Thought I'd drop that info on ya. :P

Well, the first thing you need to determine is if your cable/dsl modem is also functioning as a router.  If it is, then you are most likely being given a public IP for the router (cable/dsl box) which then gives internal IP addresses to any computer you have attached to it.

One way to check this is to go to www.whatismyip.org and comparing the IP it gives you to the IP address you receive when you go to your command prompt (Start>>Run>>cmd ENTER)

When you get to the command prompt type ipconfig, and you'll get something like the list below...
[quote]
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 144.162.72.131
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 144.162.74.1
[/quote]

If those IP's match, then at least you're giving people the right IP address.  If not, you need to start using the one determined my whatismyip.org.  Also, if they do not match then you are behind a router, most likely with a firewall (Included in the Cable/DSL box).  You'll need to go to the router's settings page, you can usually get there by typing in the IP address of the Default Gateway listed in your ipconfig results.  Then you will need to forward port 80 (http, web) to the computer that you want running as a web server.

Any questions??  Others, feel free to correct anything if I missed something somewhere...

Thanks for the reply. I did as you said. And I am giving the correct ip address to people. But its not loading anything for them. I think it keeps coming up with a timed out error. Any more advice or suggestions?  I do have the built in windows xp firewall running. Would that be a problem even though I have the correct IP address?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.