PHP, SQLite, & Exchange

Balmung-San

Not so much a problem as a few questions.

My first one is about whether or not SQLite is a good solution for PHP. I've only used MySQL before, but I've started to look into alternative databases for storage, and it seems like SQLite may be what I'm looking for. The application I'm building is to book conference rooms from, so there won't be very many writes a day. However, we need to do manual administration on the database, so it would be placed on a Windows shared partition. I've heard that there may be locking issues with that, though I'm not sure if this would really be the case. Any idea if PHP does have locking issues with SQLite in this environment?

Also, I've taken a look at the PHP docs for SQLite, and there seems to be an Object Oriented method for opening/creating a DB, but no OO way to close it. Would I just use a sqlite_close, and pass in the SQLiteDatabase object, or would it be best to not take an OO approach to it?

As well, I am willing to take suggestions on changing database type, though I don't think anything with a license for commercial use is an option.

As for my question on exchange, our company runs an exchange server for the email, however I am unsure (and unable to obtain) information on what version it is, and I am unable to make any configuration changes with it. Should I have a problem sending emails out using mail()? Would I need to change my configuration at all?

Thanks for all the help.

Sqlite is a great choice for a database if you don't feel like you'll need the extra overhead of a mysql server. In fact there are certain situations where sqlite has been proven to run more efficiently then mysql.

Your question however covers too broad a spectrum to give any final answers. Ive been using sqlite for a number of projects and have been quite happy with it.

As for closing the connection, PHP's garbage collection should take care of that anyway. The rest, I'm unsure of.... I'm a Linux user.

I've really lowered it down to SQLite and PostgreSQL. I'm leaning away from MySQL because of their licensing for commercial systems. I've looked at Firebird as well, but it doesn't quite have enough features for me to consider it. I like how SQLite has no server to run, so we get no overhead there. Postgre is nice because of the power. However, I don't think we really need all that power.

I think I may go with SQLite. It gives us just enough power, without killing us in speed.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.