Webserver is instable

Yuka

Greetings all,

I've been trying to solve this problem for quite a while and I have been unable to do so.

I am running the following:
Windows Server 2003 SP1
Apache 2.2.x (I'll clarify the X when I get home, it's possibly .3)
PHP4
MySQL 4.2.x (I'll clarify when I get home or if the server recovers from its latest crash/freeze)

Here's the problem.  My server gets a stop error out of the blue and that's it... it crashes and reboots and sometimes it just hangs.  When I log into the computer after it reboots I get flooded with error reports complaining about a device driver.  I've tried 4 different NICs in this server, all with the same result.  3 of these NICs work fine in other boxes.  I tried all different versions of drivers with no luck.  Then I tried stopping my apache service, which stopped the problem.  The MySQL service was still running at that time.  That makes me lean towards it being apache doing something naughty with the device driver which causes the entire machine to freeze up.  Now, after the server goes through a crashing/rebooting fit for 3-8 days it stabilizes and stops until it gets rebooted again.

Rebuilding the server is not an option at this point and won't be an option within a reasonable amount of time.

I know it's a mess but I come here asking if anyone could provide some further diagnosis procedures in an effort to resolve this, obviously, very troublesome issue at hand.

The server was running apache 2.2.3 and MySQL 4.0.x

(The MySQL server is now not functioning... oh jeeze)

Anyway.  I uninstalled Apache and reinstalled with version 2.2.4 and I am still having the same issue.

I also noticed that the Netlogon service fails and I have to manually start the service.  I checked the event viewer and there were a few entries about how it was unable to update the DNS entry.  I have to admit I didn't pay much attention to that because of the hour that I did get home and I really wanted to get to sleep.  I'm going to statically assign the entries that it wants to assign in DNS and see if that resolves the issue.  I was also thinking about disabling dynamic DNS and DNS query forwarding.

I want to try to resolve the issue of Netlogon not starting up first as it seems like an easy resolution IF it is resolved by adding static DNS entries for the items that it tries to update the DNS entry for.

I'll get more information when I can.  I have a feeling this might be a bigger problem than just apache not liking the OS and the NIC.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.