MySQL help..

yuppicide

I am new to databases and integrating them with websites, but not new to website programming. I have made a website for the company I work for. It's 1000 times better than the one they had up there. I've made it so you can view our whole catalog online. Our catalog is about 34 pages. You can click any item in the catalog and view it in greater detail.

Problem is I didn't know how to do a database at the time and I wanted to get the site working. I sat there and made 430+ HTM pages! I know that's not the most efficient way to go about things, but I knew I could do it and we didn't have a lot of work to do at the time, so I had some free time here. There's about 35 pages for our catalog with imagemaps. When you click any one of those images it shows a larger picture of it along with the item number and color.

I have made a test database on one of them free sites so I could learn. Once I get that working I'll go ahead and implement it on my companys website. Could someone guide me on how I'd go about doing what I want?

Database will have the following fields: item, color, and imgloc. The item will be for example 1218S-3622, color for example is Light Brown, and imgloc would be the location to the image for example "/images/1218S3622lig.jpg".

How do I make it so that when people click a link from one of my imagemaps it'll goto a generic page that will know what image and information to load?

Should I be using MySQL or just a flatfile database will do?

Here's the current website if you want to see:

http://www.peppermint-bay.com

You can use the "View Entire Catalog" list and flip through our pages. Clicking an item will view it in larger detail.

I forgot to mention that I want the database to have one more field that will mention what catagory the item is. For example "dress" or "skirt" this way I can make all those catagory buttons under the "view entire catalog" button work much easier. I can make a page to have it load all the items rather than me sitting there and coding them all.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.