Setting up secure web access

lpantos

Best thing to do would be using .htaccess

You can insist on that in the .conf file.  The folowing is from a Linux httpd.conf but i imagen very similer. (posibly identical!)

<Directory "[i]thedocumentroot[/i]">
    Options None
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    AuthName "PageName Access"
    AuthType Basic
    AuthUserFile [i]fileparth[/i]/htpasswd.users
    Require valid-user
</Directory>

I did a google on '.htaccess on windows' and got loads!

According to the apache manual your not supposed to be using .htaccess for security if you have root access.(unless you just want to password a single directory). Im not saying it doesnt work, cos it does, rather well. Just seen it written a few times thats its not the done thing.

Using .htaccess would be more for users who dont have root access who, for instance want to password protect there family photos that they hold on a more public server....... Trying to find in the manual where I found this.

as far as I understand (and Im still rather sketchy on this beleive me)

Apache has a general configuration file apache2.conf You can specify any of the 30 or so directives in there and that will be your global settings. (password protect thingy in here and the entire site is locked)

Each virtual server has its own configuration file where you can again specify any of these directives, these will over ride the specifications in the apache2.conf. (in here and one of you domains would be locked. I have two. one of which is locked)

You can then specify directives in your .htaccess file. This is for individual "per directory" settings(family photos).

This is as far as I understand and its probable that Im really bloody wrong!

Please let me know chaps.  ;D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.